Too much co2 ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too much co2 ?

Is that too much co2 ? I cant tell from the pictures if it is green or yellow, so I put another image from the night before for you to compare
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	katman.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	813770  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are your fish alive? If so, it's not too much.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They were fine. This morning I saw this and scared of poisioning them. How can I see my limit without any danger ?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Generally a 1 pt PH drop is what you aim for, so test your PH with degassed water either out of the tap or some tank water after it sits for a while or in the morning before the co2 comes on and test some after the co2 has been on for most of the day. If your PH is 7.5 out of the tap (degassed) and your PH in the tank with co2 on for most of the day is 6.5 that is usually around 30ppm or so which is good in most cases.

You can also use a PH/KH chart which will show approximate co2 levels.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Turn it up a touch, wait a few days to make sure your fish are fine. If they're still good after a couple of days, turn it up a touch more. Repeat until you see your fish lethargic and hanging out near the surface. Once you see that, turn it back down a touch and monitor for a few days to make sure they're good. If you have your CO2 timed to your lights, you'll want to pay particular attention to right when the lights turn on, and just before the CO2 turns off in the afternoon. These are the times that the CO2 content will be highest.

Also keep in mind a few things that can affect the CO2 off-gassing, like filter flow, surface agitation, or surface film. You don't want to suddenly have less gas exchange because of a protein film and gas all of your fish.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have DIY yeast setup (for starter testing and learning). I attached the co2 pipe to the intake of the internal filter / powerhead. (it dissolves and pumps the co2 into the tank) I set it up like this. My lights turned off at 00:00 and turn on at 12:00 in the afternoon. And of course the co2 and powerhead kept running all the night. So when I checked it in the morning, the drop checker turned greenish / yellowish color as seen in the picture.

So I'm thinking to set powerhead and the lights to the same timer. with this setup, lights and the powerhead and so the co2 flow start at the same time in the morning. And when the night time, all of them stops and when there is no flow in the tank I think I can limit the dissolved co2 amount in the tank. Because there is no pumping co2.

What you guys think about this idea ?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you're running DiY CO2, you're fine the way it is. If you're really concerned, you can add a powerhead aimed at the surface that comes on at night to help off-gas some of the CO2.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode