Water Changes Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Water Changes Help

Hello. I will be setting up a new tank with a Fluval fx4 filter. I already know how to drain the water from the tank into the sink with the filter. How am I supposed to fill up the tank? Should I just buy a hose and connect it to the sink and let the water go directly into the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Lots of different ways are used and which is better depends on many things. One way to do it is a hose from the faucet to the tankand that does avoid carrying water. But the water does need to match the tank for temperature as well as any changes you may make to the water. If you adjust things like PH. GH or GH, you will need to use care to avoid abrupt changes in those levels in the tank. The temperature is the one many get wrong as they get too much hot or too much cold water from the faucet. It is easy to start the flow at near the right temp and then in a few minutes find it is way too hot. CAREFUL!
Also adding the water directly to the tank means we need to adjust any treatment we do to remove chlorine or chloramine from the tap water. If we treat the water in a bucket before adding to the tank, we can use the volume of treatment to match the bucket size but if we treat the water after it is in the tank we need to use more so that it meets the tank volume rather than the bucket.
So we have to judge which is best for us. Some will not want to carry buckets and use more water treatment. Others may be okay with the bucket carry and use less and be somewhat safer to get the temperature, etc. correct.
I use a plastic barrel, use tubing to fill the barrel and let the water come to room temperature and treat it. Then after a day or so, I use a small pump to moveit from the barrel to the tank.
Many ways but which will work best for each of us??
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What size tank is it? Personally I use a 30G Rubbermaid trash can. The commercial ones (grey, sold at Home Depot) are made from food grade plastic, so they should be totally safe for tank water.

I fill it up, then run a power head and heat overnight to get the water up to temperature and get gas levels balanced. From there I pump it into the tank with a small pump and hose.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode