How does this plant list look for my 75 high tech to start out with? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How does this plant list look for my 75 high tech to start out with?

Cryptocoryne wendtii Red (Cryptocoryne

Cabomba Purple (Red) (Cabomba pulcherrima)

Ludwigia Broad Leaf (Ludwigia repens)

Cardinal Plant Pot (Lobelia cardinalis)

Rotala Indica
Tiger Lotus Red (Nymphaea zenkeri)

Baby Tears Dwarf MAT (3"x5") (Hemianthus callitrichoides)

Ludwigia Peruensis (Ludwigia peruensis aka Ludwigia glandulosa)

Cabomba Green (Cabomba carolina)

Hygrophila pinnatifida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

Looks like you will be going high tech but the only plants that really need it are H. pinnatifida, DBT, and L. peruensis. All the other plants I think are low tech and will just grow much faster thanks to the co2 and the high light.

This looks good as long as you are prepared to do lots of trimmings as there are quite a few stem plants on that list that aren't high tech and will grow much faster than normal. I think you could even do more as you have a 75 gallon to work with. Are you planning to do wood or rocks??? This looks like it could be a nice dutch style too so can't wait to see it start.

My 29 gallon tetra tank that I just throw plants at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes. I'm going for a Dutch style here. I'm ok with trimming and am focusing mostly on plants in this tank. I am going to add more plants later. It is a soil substrate with minerals added (dolomite and potash and some natural red clay) but not mineralized (stone me at the gates now lol) Just a few rainbows and danios. Some cories and shrimp at the bottom. That will be it for the fish. I may have to get an angel or two because they're like having a dog to come home to and they get all excited when you walk in the room lol. But it's discouraging when they fight and I'm not sure if I want to go through that again.

Also no wood or rocks. Just plants. I plan on trimming and arranging plants to create depth.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-25-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamB View Post
Cryptocoryne wendtii Red (Cryptocoryne

Cabomba Purple (Red) (Cabomba pulcherrima)

Ludwigia Broad Leaf (Ludwigia repens)

Cardinal Plant Pot (Lobelia cardinalis)

Rotala Indica
Tiger Lotus Red (Nymphaea zenkeri)

Baby Tears Dwarf MAT (3"x5") (Hemianthus callitrichoides)

Ludwigia Peruensis (Ludwigia peruensis aka Ludwigia glandulosa)

Cabomba Green (Cabomba carolina)

Hygrophila pinnatifida
Cabomba purple works well and for red would be cabomba furcata.
I would ditch the green(Carolina) if it were me.

Indica? Ammania Bonsai correct? If so nice plant!

Tiger lotus can produce large leaves toward the surface and create shading.

L.Peru is an awesome plant, great choice. Not a super fast grower for me even @ 100PAR. Looks great though.

Lobelia cardinalis is typically a great midground grower too.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 03:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post

Tiger lotus can produce large leaves toward the surface and create shading.

L.Peru is an awesome plant, great choice. Not a super fast grower for me even @ 100PAR. Looks great though.

I agree the green cabomba will go crazy if you go hi tech. The rotala indica is also known as rotundifolia so no not ammania
I would say try Ammannia gracilis as its a cool pink plant I want to see someone use before I get it. Also I would say something like nelsonia canescens could be nice but its hard to find at least for me.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post

Tiger lotus can produce large leaves toward the surface and create shading

I agree the green cabomba will go crazy if you go hi tech. The rotala indica is also known as rotundifolia so no not ammania
I would say try Ammannia gracilis as its a cool pink plant I want to see someone use before I get it. Also I would say something like nelsonia canescens could be nice but its hard to find at least for me.
Hmmm. So you guys are saying that the green cabomba will grow too fast and out compete the other plants and that there is better green plants? I really just wanted it to create contrast in the background with the purple cabomba and rotala. Is there any other green plants with narrow leaves I could try that would do well in the background?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamB View Post
Hmmm. So you guys are saying that the green cabomba will grow too fast and out compete the other plants and that there is better green plants? I really just wanted it to create contrast in the background with the purple cabomba and rotala. Is there any other green plants with narrow leaves I could try that would do well in the background?
Green cabomba can get leggy between nodes.

True rotala indica is really ammania bonsai, not rotundifolia.
This is always mislabeled on 95% of websites.
R.rotundifolia is a color changeling based on growing conditions.

Green with narrow leaves could be myrio, ambulia, foxtail maybe?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:52 AM
Algae Grower

In that case you could get either rotala rotundifolia or indica depending on what you liked.
The cabomba just needs a lot of light otherwise it can get leggy like @Maryland Guppy said
If you are looking for needle like leaves then you couldn't go wrong with pogostemon erectus or ludwigia inclinata var cuba but this gets some reds in it.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok hmm. I think I'll keep the green cabomba until I can get something more suitable. I think it will help use up some nutrients for now so I don't get algae. I don't necessarily like the thread leaves of it. I assumed it would grow really thick but after seeing it in other people's tanks I realize it doesn't. I have a 4 bulb t5 fixture with 54 watts per bulb so I think I have enough light. What do you guys think?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 10:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I love red lotus but I don't think it's the kind of plant to put in a Dutch style tank.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've seen it used before in dutch style as something as a sort of centerpiece. I just have to keep it low
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Red tiger lotus with high enough PAR can pancake out at the bottom and not send so many leaves toward the top.
This takes about 100PAR @ substrate IME.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not sure what my par is but I have a 4 bulb t5 fixture at 54 watts per bulb. I'm just using the stock bulbs that came with it. I may have to upgrade bulbs.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

*Update* I got the plants last Thursday. Also ordered some Limnophila Aromatica, star grass and Alternanthera reineckii. I cranked the co2 about 7-10 bps. Diffusing through a fluval diffuser and blowing nicely around the tank through under the filter output. Lights on 5 hours a day full blast. All the plants are doing great! I can see new growth on every sincle plant, even the dwarf baby tears. The only melting i had was a couple leaves on the crypts and some of the dhc. I got a female bosemani rainbow and a tiny galaxy rasbora. I know its weird i only got 1 of each but that is all my fish store had. They are getting more for me this Friday. Let me know what you all think!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180115_200515_1516068697650.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	819914  

Name:	20180115_200523_1516068733388.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	819922  

Name:	20180115_200530_1516068755900.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	819930  

Name:	20180115_200545_1516068775004.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	819938  

Name:	20180115_200606_1516068788336.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	819946  

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That looks fantastic. Normally when I start a tank the plants need some time to straighten out and look decent. Yours really attenuated quickly. I must say that I'm not a fan of stems though... hardscape and anubias, ferns, buces, and mosses along with some crypts in the substrate is really my preference.
Are you doing a Dutch style tank?

Twin high tech 75's -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode