My "20 year old planted" tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My "20 year old planted" tank

I've created a photo album of a tank I have that's been "set up" for around 20 years. Here's the basic timeline.

1997: I set up the first iteration of this tank in a loft apartment I was renting. The tank was originally set up in a 55-gallon tank and it had a DIY 4 bulb T8 hood and DIY substrate heating that I made with silicon tubing and some kind of a DC transformer I got at an electrical supply house. The substrate itself came from Pets.com. I shipped it to everyone on my floor at the apartment building and got about $400 worth of Flourish substrate that way. Pets.com crashed later in the original dot-com crash. The pants came from someone named Quackenbush and were delayed because the plane they were on was hijacked at the Atlanta airport. It was a FedEx plane. I learned all I know from the original APD (Aquatic Plants Digest) that was later shut down by a defamation lawsuit.

2000 I moved out of that house into a duplex and dumped all the plants and fish into a newly setup pond in the yard. The plants and fish lived out the summer without any help from me. I later moved the plants back into the house in to a low tech setup where they just about survied the winter.

2001. I bought my house in June and moved the plants into the 55 and left them in the backyard for the summer under a tree while I worked on the house.

winter 2001. I bought a new 75-gallon tank and moved the tank into my house. I put the pumps and co2 injection int he basement and set up the tank to drain and fill automatically via a dedicated line controlled by an automatic lawn sprinkler control. The tank was pretty high tech running most of that time of a 4 t5HO setup and for a while even had automatic fertilizer via a repurposed medical peristaltic pump. Around 2005 I added Dupla substate heating. I use "turface" substate as the original flourish was too nutrient loaded

Several times between 2001 and 2015 the tank was decamped to a 40 breeder I kept in the backyard for the summer when my interest in being in the house is low. The plants and fish always do great outside. I bring the back in during the fall.

2015 I ordered Cryptocoryne Parva, Staurogyne repens, Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis, Cryptocoryne Undulatus to make the tank lower tech so it would take less maintenance and lower demand for me. I got rid of fish entirely and switched to cherry shrimp.
Around this time I got a Red Octopus DC pump which is dead quiet and I love it.

2017 I cleaned out the tank a couple times trying to kill off the java moss, but the Anubis is original, the same one that came from Quackenbush. It's what ties the whole thing together. I never dumped everything and started totally over. I recently got a Planted 24/7 SE and love it. Plants are doing well and I just adore the light cycle. I recently got some white cloud fish.

I am at a point where I can grow plants and am not at all interested in maintenance. I may try and up the notch a little on aquascaping but it looks pretty good. I was never able to get rid of the java moss and now I have it growing in my filter, which is just a sponge filter. Interestingly this tank has never run a filter at all. I still run the co2 injection but at very low levels.

It's a pretty night light and makes the living room a nice place to be. Having the pump and hardware in the basement is great.

Last edited by novitt; 12-24-2017 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
cool I like stories like that!

Tags
adp. pmdd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode