I Think My Gouramis Have DGIV - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I Think My Gouramis Have DGIV

Hello There!

I'm sad to say it looks like my dwarf gourami looks to be suffering from Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus. He has looked bloated for more than a month now which I just attributed to him trying to eat everything. He's still eating well, but his activity is becoming more suspect. Last night he was swimming head down. He is making more frequent trips to the surface for air or just sits in the back corner. His head is getting more and more gray and it looks as if he has lesions by each side fin. Now the dwarf flame gourami is showing those same issues of discoloration and lesion by the fin on one side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clyde_ill.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	812946

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Have they eaten live foods? Where did they come from? Have you considered or tried treatment for anything else? How long have you had them? Lesions to me = bacteria, paracite or accident.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got them from the only non-chain lfs in our area about 4 months ago. It's been in business for many, many years and is pretty reputable. No I have not fed them any live food. In fact I was talking to my gf about that just last night. I did feed the tank some peas today though. I have not tried anything as I only started suspecting there really is an issue. The lesions with the discoloration and bloating led me to DGIV. The dwarf gourami is crapping himself silly as I type this with long strings of white poop.

I also have 10 zebra danios, a pleco, 2 (rescued) xray tetras and 2 (rescued) glow light tetras , a yellow shrimp and 2 nerite snails. They all look healthy. Water parameters look good.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgenius View Post
I got them from the only non-chain lfs in our area about 4 months ago. It's been in business for many, many years and is pretty reputable. No I have not fed them any live food. In fact I was talking to my gf about that just last night. I did feed the tank some peas today though. I have not tried anything as I only started suspecting there really is an issue. The lesions with the discoloration and bloating led me to DGIV. The dwarf gourami is crapping himself silly as I type this with long strings of white poop.

I also have 10 zebra danios, a pleco, 2 (rescued) xray tetras and 2 (rescued) glow light tetras , a yellow shrimp and 2 nerite snails. They all look healthy. Water parameters look good.
If it was DGIV not sure theyd still be with you. Stringy white poo you say? Sounds like loads of internal swelling and perhaps paracites. The store may be great, but they buy their fish just like you and who knows what conditions these fish were in or exposed to prior? Ive worked import/export and purchased from wholesalers for many years and Ive seen first hand the condition most of these fish are in before the average hobbyist gets them. Chances are it was carrying nasties with it. How large is this tank? 1 dwarf gourami male per tank unless it is LARGE. They are territorial as crap and will harass one another til one dies from stress and or injuries, that could be making the issue worse, stress = suppressed immune system functionality opening the door for infectious agents and paracites. Ive seen a lot of gouramis and fish in general lately coming in with worms and paracite issues. Secondary infections normally follow. They're still eating? Perhaps try medicated food and see if it clears things up. Metroplex and focus soaked into thawed frozen food for 15 min or so could help but will take a few days, if you need to entice feeding garlic juice does wonders. Feed the mix every day.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's a 30g tank. They seem really good together. I've had territorial fish before and these two are pretty docile. One time the dwarf flame got snippy, for like 2 seconds. I'll try the metroplex. Thanks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just dont let that tank get too warm. Once they decide to breed, all bets off. No females need be present for them to get all worked up and territorial. Hope the meteoplex/ focus helps!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode