Skimmer for white/oily film on surface? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Skimmer for white/oily film on surface?

I recently started a 29g, it is now a little over 2 weeks old and contains the plants and a few snails. A couple of days ago it developed the white oily film on the surface. I skimmed it off with a net and drilled a small hole in the top of the return bar from my canister filter to ripple the surface. This seemed to work but overnight it comes back and the 'ripple' is unable to fix it without being skimmed again with the net. I have read about skimmer attachments for canister filters and wonder if I should invest in one? Or, is this something that the tank will work through? I have not ran into this particular problem before and value everybodys advice.

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Before you try adding anything on, I would suggest just aiming your return more towards the surface. It should take care of your problem. If it doesn't, then I'd look into a skimmer attachment. The film is most likely from the oil in your food. What are you feeding?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82nd_Airborne View Post
Before you try adding anything on, I would suggest just aiming your return more towards the surface. It should take care of your problem. If it doesn't, then I'd look into a skimmer attachment. The film is most likely from the oil in your food. What are you feeding?

Just a pinch of flake for cycling purposes. I have already tried to twist the return more towards the surface as you suggested but the eheim tubing grabs so strongly that it is nearly impossible.

Thank you for your service All American!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compressorman View Post
Just a pinch of flake for cycling purposes. I have already tried to twist the return more towards the surface as you suggested but the eheim tubing grabs so strongly that it is nearly impossible.

Thank you for your service All American!!!
Ah, ok. If you are just cycling, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once it's stocked, the food obviously won't be just dissolving, so the problem should go away. An easy way to remove it is to drag a paper towel across the top of the water if it bothers you. You could also add an air stone just to break the surface.

And thank you for recognizing the user name

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compressorman View Post
I recently started a 29g, it is now a little over 2 weeks old and contains the plants and a few snails. A couple of days ago it developed the white oily film on the surface. I skimmed it off with a net and drilled a small hole in the top of the return bar from my canister filter to ripple the surface. This seemed to work but overnight it comes back and the 'ripple' is unable to fix it without being skimmed again with the net. I have read about skimmer attachments for canister filters and wonder if I should invest in one? Or, is this something that the tank will work through? I have not ran into this particular problem before and value everybodys advice.

Thanks,
Chris
your tank has a bio film of proteins forming at the water surface. you simply need to create more water surface agitation thus allowing the gas exchanges and 1000s of microscopic bacteria and living creatures to do their magic and it will clear up. without water agitation, everyone is getting stuck and the process isn't able to happen. normal for a new tank to go through these phases as it tries to balance it self out.

make your water splishy splashy for couple days and you should see improvement.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:43 PM
TCD
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82nd_Airborne View Post
Ah, ok. If you are just cycling, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once it's stocked, the food obviously won't be just dissolving, so the problem should go away. An easy way to remove it is to drag a paper towel across the top of the water if it bothers you. You could also add an air stone just to break the surface.
+1 for the air stone, that stopped my own bio film problem immediately, and is super cheap.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode