thoughts on size of tank for 1st planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
thoughts on size of tank for 1st planted

as the title says what are your thoughts for size of 1st planted tank?
I have a few "extra" tanks around form reef projects decided not to set up a seahorse tank as it a bit much work right with 1 reef and one prject reef up and running now, so started thinking about planted tanks...

I have a cpl 40br
10gal
could take down a 20L marine planted that needs some love .

space is pretty limited and nothing above a 40BR for sure.

very new to the whole FW planted thing but I generaly llike the look of longer tank vs cubes.
as of now with my very VERY limited understanding I like more mossy and drift wood look with a few back ground plants or the rocky mossy mini cliff scape.

any AIO I should look into?
might get a nice rimless but as I have a cpl tanks its hard to justify...haha + petco $1 per gal sales are always nice.

anyway just thinking out loud here...any feedback and advise is welcome!
cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

40 BR

or nano tank.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cubes are harder to scape IMO.

I do have a 80x40x40cm and a 45x27x30cm and wish I had more depth in both of them. 50 cm depth gives really nice opportunities. Not saying you can't scape tanks with less depth but still it's harder... Rimless is the way to go.

Optic white glass

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think 20L is a good size to start with. Doesn't limit your fish selection as much and gives you room when you see a plant you really want to add to your aquarium. I have a 10g right now and I'm always seeing new plants I want to play with but have no space for.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah rimless are sure nice I have a 90 reef that is rimless 12mm glass heavy a hell but very nice!
been checking out the aquxmaxx rimless tanks but dont want to spend to much $$ on this project.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would say that a 40 breeder is a perfect size for scaping. Especially for your first planted tank. 18" is a great depth to work with. All the smaller 12" deep tanks just don't give you as many options. Check out the link in my sig for my 40 breeder. It is my favorite tank by far.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
I would say that a 40 breeder is a perfect size for scaping. Especially for your first planted tank. 18" is a great depth to work with. All the smaller 12" deep tanks just don't give you as many options. Check out the link in my sig for my 40 breeder. It is my favorite tank by far.
I do love the 40BR for sure...one of my fav. size tanks great foot print . it only problem with that is the tank in my room a bigish room but there is a 36x24x24 90 reef & a 20L dont want it to look to gito with tanks every where. haha
my 1st thought was the 40br guess I could take down the 20L planted reef and try my tank at this?

Bump: oh looks like I need 10 post to view links...
#8 once I have 10 I will get your thread for sure!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Love 40B tanks. I was tempted to get one for my upcoming project but after getting my Mr. Aqua tanks I don't know if I can go back to non-rimless for a display tank. That's why I grabbed my AquaMaxx tank when it was on sale for Black Friday.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
A 40b is nice,
I'm fond of the 60cm wide tanks(24 inches)
My current tank is 24x18x18, don't have to trim the plants often and you can fit an entire hairgrass foreground and still have room in the back

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 02:29 AM
Algae Grower

Tall aquariums are more difficult because the lighting doesn't penetrate all the way to the substrate. If you have a choice, go for the shallower aquarium, not a tall, deeper one.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:42 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah I'm with @marks_01 the less depth the more you can skimp on lights. I would say a 20L or a 33L as those are about the same and they are really short. This means you would have to trim stem plants often though as they would reach the top of the tank fast or just stay with stuff like anubias and crypts that don't grow crazy fast. I think a jungle tank would be good for you as you are newer to plants. Plants like crypt pontederiifolia are impossible to kill and will even do good if they are neglected. I would say find as much of your wood before starting and then same with your sand so you can match them so they don't clash. Darker sand with a few pieces of mopani wood and 3-5 species of anubias would be cool with some java fern and Crypts or dwarf chain swords as foreground cover

My 29 gallon tetra tank that I just throw plants at

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackon View Post
Yeah I'm with @marks_01 the less depth the more you can skimp on lights. I would say a 20L or a 33L as those are about the same and they are really short. This means you would have to trim stem plants often though as they would reach the top of the tank fast or just stay with stuff like anubias and crypts that don't grow crazy fast. I think a jungle tank would be good for you as you are newer to plants. Plants like crypt pontederiifolia are impossible to kill and will even do good if they are neglected. I would say find as much of your wood before starting and then same with your sand so you can match them so they don't clash. Darker sand with a few pieces of mopani wood and 3-5 species of anubias would be cool with some java fern and Crypts or dwarf chain swords as foreground cover
yeah its the same with reefing the deper the tank the more par/pur you need for the corals.
40br are not to deep and prob. go with something like a finnex. but I hear ya about deep tanks.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Love 40B tanks. I was tempted to get one for my upcoming project but after getting my Mr. Aqua tanks I don't know if I can go back to non-rimless for a display tank. That's why I grabbed my AquaMaxx tank when it was on sale for Black Friday.
yeah right its kinda hard to go back to rimmed tanks after a nice clean well made rimless eh?
lucky you a black Friday sale what did you get? I thought mr.aqua was no more?
my understanding they were replaced or renamed my aquamaxx?

thinking about these for rimless tanks:
a 22 long:
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Long_Low_Iron_Rimless_Aquarium_22_Gallon_ Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks_20_29_Gallons-AquaMaxx-UJ94560-FIAQNCNTTT-vi.html

9.1 gal:
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Long_Cuboid_Low_Iron_Rimless_Aquarium_9.1 _Gallon_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks_Under_10_Gallons-AquaMaxx-UJ94554-FIAQNCNTUT-vi.html
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 05:34 AM
Algae Grower

Sounds ridiculous to me since I could get a 20L for 20$ and take the black trim off. 200$ for 22 gallons is like 10$ a gallon and with that I could buy ten 20 gallons either tall or long. I know thats sort of me ranting on stupid overpriced low iron glass tanks but seriously is it really worth it?

All my opinions on low iron glass tanks aside I think the 40br is a good choice as the more space the better but remember its not just tall but deep as front to back and that means you may need 2 lights to get eve coverage from front to back. This being more of a jungle style tank and there not being CO2 involved yet or anything that will need higher lighting you could probably get away with one light.

My 29 gallon tetra tank that I just throw plants at

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackon View Post
Sounds ridiculous to me since I could get a 20L for 20$ and take the black trim off. 200$ for 22 gallons is like 10$ a gallon and with that I could buy ten 20 gallons either tall or long. I know thats sort of me ranting on stupid overpriced low iron glass tanks but seriously is it really worth it?

All my opinions on low iron glass tanks aside I think the 40br is a good choice as the more space the better but remember its not just tall but deep as front to back and that means you may need 2 lights to get eve coverage from front to back. This being more of a jungle style tank and there not being CO2 involved yet or anything that will need higher lighting you could probably get away with one light.
yeah I hear yeah, I go back and forth on low iron rimless tanks. they are nice but are they worth it? I dont know? hard to spend the cash on it when I have a few tanks that could work I guess. i am often get what you want 1st and do it "right" kinda guy. with in reason...
also the closest petco is a 100 miles each way so with time and gas just to get a new 20L ( if I dont use what I got and take down a reef )

the more I think about this project the more I am liking smaller tanks just so its not so much you know, but then I do under stand the more volume more room for error rule to. guess I just need to find my balance of space/room vs upkeep vs stocking cost.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

I wouldn't want a rimless again because of the evaporation issue (I live in a place where water is a problem and can't be topping off a tank every day) but having seen a show room with a bunch of low iron/rimless tanks I see the allure. They are a masterpiece.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode