HOB on Hi-Tech? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Triport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
HOB on Hi-Tech?

As I learned earlier, surface agitation REALLY gasses off the CO2.

I got a Whisper 60 on sale for $20, so my 50g would have more filtration. Its a great filter for the price, but it gasses off a ton of CO2.

Does anyone run HOB on hi tech planted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have injected co2 on a 50 gal with ferts and a current usa plus pro 16 inches from the substrate, with 2 AC 70's on it. I injected through the filters where there is the plate that has the intake tube slide on just above the impeller. There is a hole there so when the filter is turned back on it can start siphoning so I drilled another hole the same size and stuck my tubing from my regulator to a splitter then to each one of the filters into the holes I drilled with a cut off piece of chop stick to act as a diffuser. My 5 lb co2 tank would last about a month and a half. Here is a pic of the tank. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...1&d=1513549395

Bump: Oh and the chop sticks that you see are put in after I turn the filters back on after tank maintenance. So the hole that is there to help the filter start up again I plug after so as not to lose co2 through that hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170904_151049718.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	811898  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I Seek The White Whale!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
Does anyone run HOB on hi tech planted?
I do. I run an AC50 and AC20 on a 20-long with pressurized CO2, and i'm seeing strong growth from my plants.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm a fan of surface agitation. I haven't really noticed a big problem with gassing off Co2.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 11:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
I'm a fan of surface agitation. I haven't really noticed a big problem with gassing off Co2.
Same here and I didn't have a top on that 50 either.

I Seek The White Whale!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Algae Grower

I have a 20 tall with an ac70. My air stone didn't turn on the other day after co2 shutoff and I almost killed my tank the following day. Even with water 1-2" below filter output the surface agitation from the filter wasn't enough to see a difference, and my filter is huge on my tank. The air stone is a different story though.

Tl:dr- your filter shouldn't affect your co2 levels in any noticable way, unless you put like a 110 on a 10 with 4" of water lol.

New to the hobby, feel like ive really found something that can be a life long passion. I sincerely appreciate anyone taking the time to pass along any advice, and look forwards to being able to do that same. -DC
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've run many tanks with CO2 and HOB's, heck even with canisters I have plenty of surface agitation. No ill effects on plant growth, no algae issues, fish all seem healthy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcchillin View Post
I have a 20 tall with an ac70. My air stone didn't turn on the other day after co2 shutoff and I almost killed my tank the following day. Even with water 1-2" below filter output the surface agitation from the filter wasn't enough to see a difference, and my filter is huge on my tank. The air stone is a different story though.

Tl:dr- your filter shouldn't affect your co2 levels in any noticable way, unless you put like a 110 on a 10 with 4" of water lol.

It absolutely does, but I was running 24/7 CO2. Now I've raised CO2 does but its on a timer.

I've been using a venturi on my UV filter to add oxygen.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 06:33 PM
Algae Grower

I mean yes, any surface agitation will, but even with a big filter for my tank it still hits levels within an hour or two of turning on, not enough for me to consider shutting mine off. Just doesn't seems worth it to me.

New to the hobby, feel like ive really found something that can be a life long passion. I sincerely appreciate anyone taking the time to pass along any advice, and look forwards to being able to do that same. -DC
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
you can find a balance to make it work. the only concern I would have is increased agitation when water levels drop and the splash becomes more intense. if you keep the water level pretty constant it would be 100% fine

generally people get way more concerned about agitation/CO2 than is warranted

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
you can find a balance to make it work. the only concern I would have is increased agitation when water levels drop and the splash becomes more intense. if you keep the water level pretty constant it would be 100% fine

generally people get way more concerned about agitation/CO2 than is warranted
I have been using a low agitation 24/7 CO2 setup that maintained 25ppm CO2. The water was aerated using a venturi for fish health.

Adding the HOB, pH went from 6.6 to 7.6, without any other changes to the tank. Had to double CO2 rate and put it back on timer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode