3Likes
  • 4 Post By Kubla
  • 2 Post By Kubla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best kit to test Gh. which one?

API Master Freshwater Water doesn't support GH and KH. Right now I am desperately looking for a test kit that can measure my GH. I read API 5 in one is not good. Infact every kit I read I found negative reviews. Please suggest which kit you trust to test your GH. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've always used the API GH & KH test kit. I've never had or heard of issues with it. $8.28 on Amazon with 4.3 stars out of 384 reviews. It's going to be tough to find a test kit that doesn't have some negative reviews. You have to read instructions and follow a few steps of directions. The general public seems to be rather lazy and stupid when it comes to that kind of task. I just read a negative review on Amazon. The person had a hard time figuring out the instructions because the chart he was supposed to compare was further down the page.....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As I get older, I'm finding more and more folks who seem to be lazy and stupid! But reviews are something to read and hope to find a gem of wisdom but not something to take too seriously. I recently bought a single serve coffee maker and one of the reviews gave it a single star. Why? Because it would only make one cup of coffee at a time!
I buy the API for GH but never the master as it has things I don't need but doesn't have GH and KH, so I go for the single test rather than the kit.
Warning! It does require being able and willing to count!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
API. Good enough and it's what almost everyone else uses as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I've always used the API GH & KH test kit. I've never had or heard of issues with it. $8.28 on Amazon with 4.3 stars out of 384 reviews. It's going to be tough to find a test kit that doesn't have some negative reviews. You have to read instructions and follow a few steps of directions. The general public seems to be rather lazy and stupid when it comes to that kind of task. I just read a negative review on Amazon. The person had a hard time figuring out the instructions because the chart he was supposed to compare was further down the page.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
As I get older, I'm finding more and more folks who seem to be lazy and stupid! But reviews are something to read and hope to find a gem of wisdom but not something to take too seriously. I recently bought a single serve coffee maker and one of the reviews gave it a single star. Why? Because it would only make one cup of coffee at a time!
I buy the API for GH but never the master as it has things I don't need but doesn't have GH and KH, so I go for the single test rather than the kit.
Warning! It does require being able and willing to count!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
API. Good enough and it's what almost everyone else uses as well.
Thanks a lot. I will order it then.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 07:22 PM
Algae Grower

Hey does anyone know if these API GH tests expire? My test never changed color - and I doubt my water could be THAT hard. My KH though came out to 6. Which makes sense. Both tests are same age, purchased maybe 3 years ago.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
There should be a printed expiration date on your bottles. I bought the GH & KH test kit earlier this year and the GH one expires in 9/2018 but the KH one expires in 5/2021.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

I prefer the Nutrafin test kits to the API ones. The GH and KH ones come together in a kit.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 09:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieB View Post
Hey does anyone know if these API GH tests expire? My test never changed color - and I doubt my water could be THAT hard. My KH though came out to 6. Which makes sense. Both tests are same age, purchased maybe 3 years ago.
I had to get a new one just a couple of weeks ago. I tried my old one and it never changed. It was out of date. The new one seems to work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
I prefer the Nutrafin test kits to the API ones. The GH and KH ones come together in a kit.
I don't know about any other differences but the API GH and KH come together in a kit.
ScottieB and ScottieB like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post

I don't know about any other differences but the API GH and KH come together in a kit.
Yeah I wasn't comparing the way API and Nutrafin were sold. I just prefer the Nutrafin kits on a whole. Particularly for Nitrate. Was just stating that they come together.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have the API and tested them against the sera tests I have. No difference in results.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieB View Post
My KH and GH were from the same kit. The KH is fine. The GH stopped working. 20+ drops and no change. Got a new kit and my GH was 8 drops. So yeah...GH seems to go bad faster than KH. My old one didn't have a date, just a lot number. New one has a date. If it goes bad before the date I'll demand a new kit from API. From what I've read in the past...they will actually replace it if it does go bad before expiration.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:38 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks - yeah I ordered the Nutrafin KH/GH kit from Amazon. Just to try something new. But my TDS probe reads 375.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode