Nitrogen cycle questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nitrogen cycle questions

I planted a tank last month. I ended up getting a second tank and planted that one too. A few days ago I got a betta for tank #2. I've been obsessively testing his water. The day after adding the betta, ammonia was 0, nitrite was 1, and nitrate was 5. Did a 30% water change + Prime. Day after that I had same readings: 0 ammonia, nitrite 1, nitrate 5. 30% water change + Prime. Day after that ammonia 0, nitrite .25, nitrate 5. Next 2 days ammonia and nitrite were 0, nitrate I'm gonna say 4 (not quite the 5 color).

Is it because of the plants that I never got an ammonia reading? Is it because of the Prime that my nitrites reduced to 0? Is my cycle complete since I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 4 nitrate?

Also I want to add fish to tank #1 soon. On tank #2 (betta tank) I have an HOB that came with the tank and I also have a sponge filter. My plan is to remove the HOB and just keep the sponge filter in there, but I want to make sure the HOB collects some beneficial bacteria first so that I can transfer it over to tank #1. WHEN should I do that? Only after I add fish? A couple days before I add fish? I believe if I transfer it too early with no ammonia source in tank #1 the bacteria will die. ?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Point one might be to question how/where any ammonia might come from to start the cycle? Fishless cycle, we add to a certain level and then maintain that level until we begin to see it process into nitrite and then eventually into nitrate. If none is added by some means, you may simply be seeing a bit of nitrite and nitrate from "somewhere" but not really a cycle.
But more info on how many and what fish are going in at one time will get better ideas of how much cycle you will need to build what level of bacteria. Single betts, maybe none needed with getting by on a bit of water changing. But fishless cycle is great to build a huge bacteria colony when getting a tub of fish like when shipped in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode