Leaking Ehiem Pro 3 (2071) need help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Leaking Ehiem Pro 3 (2071) need help!

Ok so the upper rear of Ehiem Pro 3 (2071) is leaking. I am fairly sure it is coming out of the motor assembly section.

OK so I have changed both gaskets with no results, then I replaced the intake and outake orings still leaked. So I dove in further last night and took apart the primer and and lubed those little orings and now my problem is much worse.

So I need advice on all that and also what to do in the mean time with my tank.

I had originally placed the whole canister in a tub beneath the tank and just let it leak now it leaks so bad i cannot do that

I have 46gallon crappy planted tank. Its seen better days plant health wise that is. About 30 fish, tetra's, neons, pleco's, otto's, amano's etc. Running a coralife aqualife 96watt.

My uv sterilizer is creating some flow but not much so i added a small aerator for the time being.

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

I GIVE UP I AM NOT AS SMART AS I LIKE TO THINK I AM

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Only thing I can think of is that the gasket may have moved as you closed it back up. Check it for damage too.

Any chance you removed the gasket for cleaning ? Only thing I can think of. These filters are rock solid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Algae Grower

If you just lubed the primer button o-rings and put the old ones back on, and now the problem is worse, I bet you need to replace (and lube) those o-rings. I am only working off the knowledge I aquired while replacing (and lubing) the o-ring and gasket in my used 2028. Different model, but some of what I learned may apply. I got the new parts from Trilby Tropicals, and while I waited for the parts I googled "how the replace o-ring in 2028" (or something like that). I found three different tutorials on the subject, and one was much better than the others, although all were helpful. The better one mentioned very specifically an area that could get caught and pinch the o-ring, resulting in a bigger leak. And it was exactly right...I would have pinched the o-ring if I had not found that tutorial. (If it is any comfort, my 2028 is now leak-free....)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

The previous post by glassbird makes an interesting point. I had the same problem on the same model of filter.

The o-rings, especially on the primer, need to be removed and replaced just right. If you pinch it, you most likely damage it.

This is the sort of problem where you need to find out exactly which on one is leaking. The instruction manual that cam with the filter should have an exploded diagram showing the location of all parts and o-rings. If you don't have the manual, the information is also available on Eheim's parts web page.

See it here (offsite) - https://www.eheimparts.com/client/sitemap.aspx
Select your filter from the list.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys,

Went to that ehiem website and no diagram for my filter My manual even doesnt have it right it says its the manual for the pro 3 2071,2073,2075, and mine is definitely the 2071

confused do u think they discontinued mine or something?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Algae Grower

I can't say anything about it being discontinued, or why your filter is not listed. But if/when you do find it somewhere, be prepared that some exploded diagrams do NOT include ALL of the parts inside. There are certain areas of the filter that Eheim considers "off-limits" to fix-it-yourself types...like the inside of the pump head on my 2028. They want you to ship it to them for fixing...yeah, ok! So they do not give part numbers.

I can't remember now where I finally found a fully exploded and labeled diagram of my 2028...might have been at a parts dealer website. Maybe Trilby Tropicals...really not sure, sorry. Keep looking. It took me a while.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Glassbird, I needed it also for future reference!

http://www.trilbytropicals.com/EHEIMPARTSHEETS.HTM

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode