1Likes
  • 2 Post By KrypleBerry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Clean up Critters

Hi All,

Looking for advice on what clean up creatures I should get...
I have a 55 gal planted tank - CO2 injected.
I have a few things that might already do some work cleaning, 4 chain loaches (sidthimunki loaches) - and 1 dwarf pleco (is 4" still considered dwarf?).
I might have had a plant hitchhiker snail or two - in long thin shells.

The pleco pretty much hides in a hole all day, he might scrub the walls at night.
The chain loaches pretty much just eat during feeding time, and goof around chasing each other the rest of the time.
I worry about my two apistos borelli going crazy on something like shrimp. But these guys seem to get pushed around by my neons and chain loaches (wimps of cichlids if I've ever seen em)
The rest of my fish are pretty peaceful (neons / rummy nose / lamp eye).

Is there something that will just eat the rotten leaves that fell off the plants, or even hair and bb, green spec algae if I get super lucky?
What do people recommend for cleaning up detritus and / or algae? And how many in a tank like mine?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171127_175458 (1).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	810938
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by benstatic View Post
Hi All,

Looking for advice on what clean up creatures I should get...
I have a 55 gal planted tank - CO2 injected.
I have a few things that might already do some work cleaning, 4 chain loaches (sidthimunki loaches) - and 1 dwarf pleco (is 4" still considered dwarf?).
I might have had a plant hitchhiker snail or two - in long thin shells.

The pleco pretty much hides in a hole all day, he might scrub the walls at night.
The chain loaches pretty much just eat during feeding time, and goof around chasing each other the rest of the time.
I worry about my two apistos borelli going crazy on something like shrimp. But these guys seem to get pushed around by my neons and chain loaches (wimps of cichlids if I've ever seen em)
The rest of my fish are pretty peaceful (neons / rummy nose / lamp eye).

Is there something that will just eat the rotten leaves that fell off the plants, or even hair and bb, green spec algae if I get super lucky?
What do people recommend for cleaning up detritus and / or algae? And how many in a tank like mine?
[iurl="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=810938&stc=1&d=1513190 092"][/iurl]
Caradina Japonica shrimp
Nerite snails
Otocinclus sp. Catfish
Crossocheilus Siamensis
Farlowella sp. Catfish
Stiphodon sp. Gobies
Bristle nosed pleco
Butterfly / Hillstream loaches

If you have a clown pleco dont expect much. They will hide a lot and munch on wood mostly.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I second the nerite snails, they never ever stop roaming and cleaning up what ever is uneaten or on the glass, use to have 4 in my 50 gal high tech. The only thing that kinda bothered me was when they would lay eggs everywhere but if I'm not mistaken you can get males only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I Seek The White Whale!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiquik View Post
I second the nerite snails, they never ever stop roaming and cleaning up what ever is uneaten or on the glass, use to have 4 in my 50 gal high tech. The only thing that kinda bothered me was when they would lay eggs everywhere but if I'm not mistaken you can get males only.
If you know how to sex them please do tell. Lol I just yank the egg layers.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypleBerry View Post
Caradina Japonica shrimp
Nerite snails
Otocinclus sp. Catfish
Crossocheilus Siamensis
Farlowella sp. Catfish
Stiphodon sp. Gobies
Bristle nosed pleco
Butterfly / Hillstream loaches

If you have a clown pleco dont expect much. They will hide a lot and munch on wood mostly.
Its a dwarf albino pleco. Not sure if bristlenose or whatever. He is my oldest fish, sitting at ~10 years old in my ownership (who knows how long before that).
Don't really want more fish in the tank, so might go for those Nerites. I had one before, and liked him.

Bump: OOH!
I like the idea of breeding Yamato shrimp and dumping the larvae in my SW tank (which has nothing but corals) - they can feed my corals, or grow to adults... In either case, looks like fun to me...
Unless they eat corals, then I would be in trouble / stressed out...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, I'm not sure if one can sex them I just remember googling something and reading it somewhere else about someone not liking the eggs and someone responded with the sexing thing. Personally I don't think it is possible, just yank the egg layers like you said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I Seek The White Whale!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Supposedly, the males have a little flap under their right eye. I've tried to figure out if the ones I have are male or female with very little success so far, but I haven't had any eggs. Also I think the softer the water the less prone they are to laying eggs.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Quote:
Supposedly, the males have a little flap under their right eye. I've tried to figure out if the ones I have are male or female with very little success so far, but I haven't had any eggs. Also I think the softer the water the less prone they are to laying eggs.
Awesome. Ill look for it. Thanks!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Amano shrimp and Nerites are an awesome addition. Amano shrimp are also very entertaining once they've acclimated and gotten some size to them.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Algae Grower

I'll agree with everyone who has recco'd amanos and nerites. Mystery snails are fun, too, and seem to do a good job in my tank. I got "tank cleanup crew" from an online store and it came with nerites, mystery, and black devil snails.

Before i put them in I had little pockets of algae that had been in my tank for years. One of those magnetic glass scrubbers, for example, was completely green and had been for as long as I can remember. Within 4 days it was completely clean. Same with some of the corners where algae had been on the sealant for ages. Not anymore!

Just make sure nothing in your tank will eat them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode