Plants and Snails - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
hi all. i just got a couple of apple snails, and put them in two different tanks. and yes, i'm sure that they're p. bridgesi after some worring and searching for pics:hehe:

anyway, i was wondering if they REALLY won't eat my plants. i know that some sites say that they will, and other have said that they won't. so which is it?

in their tanks are some java fern, java moss, wendtii red, and red ludwigia. so are my plants safe??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Time will tell. Keep an eye on them. I had a group of three apple snails that decimated my Anubias van Nana to just a few stems. Luckily, the plant recovered after I got rid of the snails.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 02:31 PM

I got two Apple snail (i'm positive thats what they were) and they ate most of my amazon sword plant (it was still small at the time):fire:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 12:55 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think somebody sent me snails... I dont want to say his name so I will just use his initials... RUSS :hehe:
I have no idea what they were because they were very small when I showed them to my garbage can.
Well I believe I missed one of them critters ( so far ).
It is about 3/16's of an inch in size now and its actually kinda kool looking.
The shell is shaped like RamsHorn and is beige colored with brown spotted pattern on it.
Im gonna let it grow a bit and see what happens but my concern is the old saying about how 1 Snail = 1000 Snails...
I pulled out 8 of these critters in the last 2 weeks ( very tiny ones ) and I will continue too unless someone can help me with a name of this. I have GoOgLeD muh fingers to the bone trying to find a good website with Snail Photos but to no avail...

Its actually kinda neat looking but I dont need no trouble...

Ever see that Star Trek Segment called ... " The Trouble With Tribbles " ??
:hehe: :hehe: Buck
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 01:33 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I had so many snails in my 10 gal tank. First there were 2, then there were 20, then I panicked. I ended up getting a pair of clown loaches to get rid of the snails. They ate all of the snails in about 3-4 days. Now I have 2 clown loaches with no snails for them to eat. Either they are eating them as they appear or theres none left. Either way, the clown loaches are cool looking fish and very entertaining to watch. They eat flake food also.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by m.lemay
I ended up getting a pair of clown loaches to get rid of the snails. They ate all of the snails in about 3-4 days. Now I have 2 clown loaches with no snails for them to eat. Either they are eating them as they appear or theres none left. Either way, the clown loaches are cool looking fish and very entertaining to watch.
I got 3 "Yoyo" loaches for the same reason. Two of them kind of paired up and didn't show too much interest in the snails. The third one, however, wiped the snails out almost single handedly (finnedly?). I call him "The Terminator."

Tim
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 08:36 PM

Wow, y'all seem to dislike your snails. I like mine a lot, Ramshorn, Japanese Trapdoor, and a few ordinary pondsnails. Never had a single problem with any of them eating my plants

Of course, I must regularly remove a zillion babies, but I don't mind. When they are starting to overload, I know its time to clean the tank anyway!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
corvus, don't get me wrong, when you find the right snail, they can help a great deal with curbing algae growth. I just haven't been able to find snails that didn't eat my plants (other than Malaysian Trumpets).

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 10:13 PM

Now I'm just curious as to what kind mine is... he sure is growing fast !
As long as he plays nice I will let him live... if he starts getting nasty... so will I and Im bigger !:fire::fire:

Im still searching for ID... Ill name him soon Im sure...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 07:04 AM
Algae Grower

Hey Buck,

Long time no see! I seriously doubt if the snails came in with my plants. I haven't seen a snail in any of my tanks in years, although they are incredibly persistent. I had some snails show up a few years ago, which I assume also were introduced with new plants, but I've had at least one or two clown, yo-yo, or zipper loaches in all my tanks for as long as I can remember (at least 5 or 6 years.) The clown loaches in particular make very short work of snails. I've seen a 2< inch clown loach eat an apple snail that was bigger than the loach! It will literally swim inside the shell and come out fat and content! I can remember back when I had the snails show up that it was probably less than 2 days and I haven't seen a snail since....
Russ
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 02:47 PM

Happy Holidays Bro...

I was kinda hoping it was from you... then you could have helped me ID it. I took a quick photo of it this morning... Any ideas ? He's still tiny... about a 1/4 " now and growing fast...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 11:06 PM
Algae Grower

Hey Buck,

I'm not much of an invertebrate buff, but I definitely never saw a snail like this in any of my tanks. The ones I had were solid brown, what I assumed were common pond snails. People usually lump these together under Malaysian snail sp., but I think there are many different species involved. What you have is probably some variant. Looks kinda neat, actually. Maybe you could create a niche with your "leopard pond snails"! Hope you had a great holiday....

Russ
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 01:34 AM

i have that same type of snail. i thought it was just a common one. i can see about 15 of them right now. i like them. as long as they are small, they cant doo too much damage. every once in a while, if i get to many, i put some food on a plate on the bottom of the tank, and they all go there to eat. they i pull the plate out and pour salt on it for fun.

phil

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode