20g or 55g for new planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
20g or 55g for new planted tank?

I was going to run a basic 20g medium to heavy planted tank. But I like the more room you get with a larger 50-55. 20's seem to be a bit to small and crouded once planted and there isn't enough room for the fish to move around so their always in one spot.

Would you guys recommend to stick with a 20g or go ahead with a larger 55g? There are a lot of low priced tanks with stands on Craigslist. Would basicly be the same price as the 20g with a stand.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Front to back, a 55g tank is 13". Do a 55g search here and you'll see complaint after complaint about how hard a 55g is to scape. It is possible, however, and you're right, there are tons of 55g deals on craigslist. If you want the experience of maintaining a larger tank, go with a 55g and see how you like it. You'll be able to move most gear to a larger tank if you decide to upgrade.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

My personal choice of what is listed would be a standard 50 gal. It's 36x18x18. That 18 inch, front to back gives you a lot more aquascaping options. The 20 and 55 are only 12 inches, front to back. This makes what you do with them a bit more limited, but you can still have a great tank.

Consider that you will spend more to set up a larger tank, but depending upon what you want, it may not be that much more.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I like 20longs or 29s personally, not too big but the shape lends themselves to some nice scape options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GROW BABY GROW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (30/100%)
I like the 40g breeders.. 36"x18"x16". Plenty distance from front to back for scaping and you don't have to strain your arm to reach the bottom of the tank!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you have space for a 55 you have space for a 75 which would be my choice for a 48" long tank. Gives you 18" front to back for scaping. If you are looking for a tank/stand on craigslist it shouldn't be much more to get a 75 instead of a 55. If you are patient you may even find a free one.

At any rate all of the suggestions to get a tank that is as deep as possible front to back are good ones. I regret not doing the same.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I should add that making your own stand can be fairly simple and cheap. a couple 2x6's, a couple 2x4's, and some 3/4" plywood, with some screws, a drill, and a hand/trim/miter saw is all that's needed. There are tons of schematics online for inspiration, and you can always get around to adding sides and doors later on. Oh, and some stain/varnish would be useful.

Even the most inept woodcrafter could create a serviceable (if ugly as sin) stand given a weekend's effort.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
55s are difficult to scape. I got mine very cheaply, but I would have vastly preferred a 75.

20 longs are nice, 40 breeders are nice, 75s are awesome.

I would recommend a 20 long, personally - you can get away with yeast CO2 instead of pressurized since it's small, and you won't need a crazy fixture on top since it's only 12 inches deep.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
I agree with most of the posts above. 40 Breeder is great size, and I love the fact you don't have to stretch to reach the bottom. But if you want the 4' length the 75 is the perfect size. Still not too tall yet plenty deep front to back to scape.

Josh
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Tank

Thanks for the info guys. I went up to Petco to get a look at the 40g breeder since I've never seen one in person before. They do look pretty nice. Right height so you don't get that large free space at the top w/o a bunch of tall plants like in a 24" tall. Lots of front to back space.

What kind of stands did you use for it? DIY?

Anyone got some nice pictures?

Is the 75g the same just basicly a foot longer? Never seen a 75 either.

Also looked at the 20 long. Seems a little short top to bottom, or it might just be me. Almost like it would have to be on a high stand or always bending down to view it. Or more of a top view tank.

I'm in no hurry so I've been viewing options for tanks.Just want to get a nice tank thats also good to scape.

Thanks, Kenneth.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennetho View Post
Not having had one(yet!) I'm not 100% sure, but I know you can get stands, and DIY is always an option depending on the WAF necessary and your own ability.

Quote:
Search the journal forum, lots of people use this size tank.

Quote:
A foot longer and about 5" taller.

Josh
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like my 65, which is 18" front to back. The 75 gal gives you more viewing width in the front though. Also the 24" heigth of a 65 means wet armpits and you need alot of tall plants to keep the top half of the tank from looking empty.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
If the 20 long was too short look at 29, same size just taller. And I personally will only build a stand, for what they charge new you could build 20 stands...quality would probably be just as good.

GROW BABY GROW

-
-
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I went up to Petco to get a look at the 40g breeder since I've never seen one in person before. They do look pretty nice. Right height so you don't get that large free space at the top w/o a bunch of tall plants like in a 24" tall. Lots of front to back space.

Also looked at the 20 long. Seems a little short top to bottom, or it might just be me. Almost like it would have to be on a high stand or always bending down to view it. Or more of a top view tank.

I'm in no hurry so I've been viewing options for tanks.Just want to get a nice tank thats also good to scape.

Thanks, Kenneth.
You could always get that gallonage increase and go with a 46 bow front. they have a nice depth to them, and a bit of height for the surface dwelling fish.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

To see larger tanks, you may have to visit an LFS other than Petco. They don't usually have the larger tanks in stock. I'm kind of lucky in that several LFSs do have large tanks in stock.

However, this could be dangerous. You might find yourself wanting one of those 200 gal or larger tanks. (grin)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode