general concensus of filter input/output locations? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
general concensus of filter input/output locations?

Im considering having a tank drilled for filter connections to be used with a canister filter----obviously drilling holes is not a temporary situation so Iwould like to get the input and output for the filter in the best location--what is the general concensus? left and right ends? both on same end? pointing down the length of the tank? spray bar across end? spray bar across top at back? central uptake and returns on both ends?

50 gallon tank--planted--using XP3 for filtration, powerhead for flow and a zoo med 501 for CO2 diffusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I think the wide variety of opinions on inflow/outflow placement can be credited to the fact that ideal placement is arrangement-dependent. For example, are you going to have a concave, with dense planting at the left and right rear corners and lower plants along the center and front, with open water space in the center? Your inflows and outflows may need to be placed in a particular arrangement for that. Now, what if you go with a triangle scape? You may want to arrange your inflow/outflow a little differently for that. What if you go with tall stems along the back? You don't want to blow them all over the place. What if you go for a landscape layout with foreground plants almost exclusively? Now, you have the entire top half of the water to churn as much as you want.

Since the layout of the hardscape, robustness or delicateness of the plants, and height of the plants can dictate how much current is adequate and where that current needs to run, I'm not sure there is a general consensus on inflow/outflow placement. People generally agree to disagree because each person is forming his or her opinion based on the needs of his or her own aquarium.

If you change your mind a lot or just like to experiment with different layouts, I would recommend avoiding any modifications to the tank that can't be undone.

I'm not trying to sidetrack your thread or change the subject, I just want to be sure that the dynamic nature of planted aquariums is mentioned before taking any single point of advice for drilling. Good luck!

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Because you will probably rescape over time, I'd stay away from drilling. Right now I'm having flow issues in one corner despite an overpowered HOB filter and a powerjet in a 30g. This wasn't the case at all several weeks ago before some tall rearground plants grew in densely. I have a canister in the mail and will continue experimenting with flow using a spraybar (or two).

By the way, an interesting consequence of having an in-tank diffuser is that I can see where the bubbles move, and how quickly. This makes it very easy to figure out where stagnant spots are.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode