Lighting/Ferts Algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lighting/Ferts Algae

Hey!

I just changed over an old tank. I got mixed results lil over a month in. Some plants are doing ok, others are stuck.

I'm curious about my lighting. For my 46 gallon (20" tall) is a 24/7 se and Beamswork DA 6500k gonna cut it for carpet plants? S Reps look kinda stunted And algae > growth. Run 24/7 in 24 mode and DA 7.5h.

As an experiment I've put a led spotlight over the SReps and they go from a small amount of pearling to maybe 3x as much. Not sure if that's actually a sign of more light needed especially since I'm dealing with green dust and spot algae.

Medium stocked
Swords,SReps,Anubias, Crypts
BDBS
Root tabs, Seachem ferts
Hard Water (kh 7)
pH 7.5
pH Co2 6.5
Ammonia .5 (day before water change)
Nitrate 10
Phosphates .1

Any advice greatly welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDemon View Post
Hey!

I just changed over an old tank. I got mixed results lil over a month in. Some plants are doing ok, others are stuck.

I'm curious about my lighting. For my 46 gallon (20" tall) is a 24/7 se and Beamswork DA 6500k gonna cut it for carpet plants? S Reps look kinda stunted And algae > growth. Run 24/7 in 24 mode and DA 7.5h.

As an experiment I've put a led spotlight over the SReps and they go from a small amount of pearling to maybe 3x as much. Not sure if that's actually a sign of more light needed especially since I'm dealing with green dust and spot algae.

Medium stocked
Swords,SReps,Anubias, Crypts
BDBS
Root tabs, Seachem ferts
Hard Water (kh 7)
pH 7.5
pH Co2 6.5
Ammonia .5 (day before water change)
Nitrate 10
Phosphates .1

Any advice greatly welcome.

I would be a little more concerned over the fact you have an ammonia reading and a stocked tank. I think you have plenty of light, ferts and (CO2?) but not enough plant mass to utilize it and out compete algae.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, Quag.

I'm gonna add more plants this week then and keep an eye on the Ammonia.

How about nitrate/phosphate levels? I've heard people mention adding phosphates.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks, Quag.

I'm gonna add more plants this week then and keep an eye on the Ammonia.

How about nitrate/phosphate levels? I've heard people mention adding phosphates.

Phosphates are good and bad, being a macronutrients plants need quite a bit of phosphorous, but algae also likes phosphates. What is your fertilizing schedule like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Carpet plants usually like good light (>50 PAR at the substrate). pH drops usually overstate CO2 levels. Push the CO2 until your fish are gasping at the surface, then drop it back a little (they will recover in an hour). Next day, do it again until the fish adapt to the highest level you can find. I also use a drop checker to monitor.

You have a lot of depth, so the right light is going to have to be a strong one. Check this link out:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...-pur-data.html

Amazon has a sale on the Beamswork's right now.

Your tank will always have enough organic phosphate for algae so, don't try to fight algae by reducing phosphates. It's more about getting healthy plants to combat the algae and that starts with light and high CO2. High orthophosphates (PO4) can help control GDA and GSA. I'd get the PO4 up into the 2-5 ppm area. You are way too low. Your fert dosing should be with the EI method. This will ensure unlimited nutrients.

Water hardness is not KH, that's carbonate hardness (alkalinity). Water hardness is GH and that should be > 3 dGH, some like it in the 5-10 area. GH shows the combined and needed calcium and magnesium. If your water has a GH higher than 3 dGH, you are probably getting enough of those two nutrients.

I agree with @Quagulator on the ammonia. Looks like you might still be cycling. Watch it and do a water change anytime it starts to rise.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hey!
Nitrate 10
Phosphates .1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Carpet plants usually like good light (>50 PAR at the substrate).
Yes when we talk about HC and similar but the OP states S. repens, Crypts, Anubias and Swords. These will be able to go well even in lower light levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Your tank will always have enough organic phosphate for algae so, don't try to fight algae by reducing phosphates. It's more about getting healthy plants to combat the algae and that starts with light and high CO2. High orthophosphates (PO4)
I agree with the main point, Higher phosphate levels are needed . However, phosphorus in organic molecules is not available for plants. Cycling it will take a big anaerobic zone.

Consider adding some fast growing stems to your tank. Keep a regular fertilizing and water change schedule and maximize your CO2 injection. The situation will soon stabilize

On hiatus till later this year
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
I agree with the main point, Higher phosphate levels are needed . However, phosphorus in organic molecules is not available for plants. Cycling it will take a big anaerobic zone
Agreed, but my point was that the organic phosphate is available to algae, not plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode