Mounting Moss Question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mounting Moss Question.

So I have some phoenix moss, christmas moss, and pellia. Looking to mount it to tips of driftwood, rocks, or maybe around the filter in/outlets.. What way does everybody go about mounting it? I have some moss screen that looks like window screen except it's green and less rigid. Say for the filter inlet, do I press the moss onto the inlet and wrap the screen around the outside and let it grow through? Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 04:03 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
I hope you don't mean directly over the intake... That would cause SO many problems.

You can use fishing line, a hair net, etc to attach the moss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have these metal elastic wire things i got at an lfs that work well. or i just stick it in a crevice in a good spot and it takes care of itself.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I used the string that is used for knitting. I just bought a tiny little spool for 50 cents. It will probably last me 100 years. No joke.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
The problem with screen is that while moss will easily grow up through it, it won't grow sideways very well. If you have enough moss to cover whatever you want in the first place, this isn't a problem.

My method is to wrap green or brown sewing thread around the moss and object a few times. To expand the covered area, I wait until the moss grows out a bit, then pin it down sideways over uncovered areas with a few more wraps of thread. Wait a few weeks and repeat.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ive always used some sewing thread the same color of what im wanting to cover in moss that way it was nearly invisible. as for the process i just took the piece i wanted to cover out, and laid moss on it to get a good even covering on where i wanted it to be. Then simply wrapped it down with a few strands of string till it stayed on, usually doesnt take much string to get it to stay.

IMHO the only time you need to use mesh is if you are trying to make a wall or a mat of moss for a carpet like effect. For attaching to everything else simple string is the best way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
Superglue Gel.

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alright I'll give it a whorl.. No definitely not over where the water flows in.. Phish.. cool.. You see any of their shows recently? They've been ripping it!! Love phish.. Thanks for the replies btw..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

IMHO the only time you need to use mesh is if you are trying to make a wall or a mat of moss for a carpet like effect. For attaching to everything else simple string is the best way to go.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking.. Good to know, thanks.. Yeah this mesh does seem a little precarious for attaching to driftwood.. It's just my tank is fully established so mounting the moss can be a b*tch.. Do you usually take the driftwood out?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
depends on the shape of the drift wood if i can get completely around the piece with out moving it then yea i would try it after turning off powerheads and filters to keep the flow from blowing everything around.

if its a piece i cant get at so i can tie it the way i like then yea i pull it out.

But in the end there is no right way to tie moss as long as in the end it stays where you put it.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Makes sense, thanks man.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
mounting moss

i have used hair net to arrange moss.works well,BUT if you have any plecos they will get cought in it and can't get out. just a warning!
cornhusker

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode