New guy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New guy

Hello everbody. I have had a 30 gallon fresh water tank set up for almost 2 years. It is a very stable tank. I currently have the following live stock:

Rainbow shark
2 flying fox
Red strip shark
6 neon tetra
1 pleco
One brazilian blue crawfish
And a Black Banded Leporinus

I am wanting to start a planted tank. I have 2 large reef tanks so maintenance is not a problem for me. I came here looking for help and to throw in my $.02 every once and a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Hi Fatreefer and welcome to TPT forum

I too have a 30 gallon tank but only for a year, and I also have two flying foxes, one is about 6 inches with the other one being about one inch less. They are big fish IMO, but very peaceful, and never bother my small fish.

I've been learning a lot in this forum, and I too started with fish only and have now moved to a planted tank. I am currently using pressurized CO2 with an ADA substrate, T5 HO lights, and Seachem line of fertilizers.

There are a lot of people here that can help you answer your questions, a lot of threads that can expand your knowledge, different opinions, methods, and ideas. It all depends on what you are looking for and what you like about planted tanks.

I hope you grow the kind of tank you like and learn as you go. I hope to see you in the forum and learn from you too.

Once again, welcome!

E
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Welcome Fatreefer! I'm pretty new here myself but so far everyone has been very helpful to me.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You'll definitely need robust plant species in there (due to the crawfish and leporinus), like many of the swords and cryptocoryne species... They can handle getting roughed up and don't require a heck of a lot of light to survive.

If you are including large stones and/or driftwood anubias and ferns are other low light, beginner species that you can attach with fishing line, lead weights, etc. Until they anchor themselves.

Just make sure that you're lighting is of the correct spectrum and get a aquarium light timer (to give consistent a photoperiod each day to ya plants..) Also use a plant specific substrate with root tabs or just inert substrate with root tabs added if you're on a budget. A general liquid fertilizer might not be a bad idea either.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode