1Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
wave maker recommendation

hi all

I'm looking to purchase a new wave maker for my low tech 120g planted tank to replace my old one. I bought it about 1 year ago and recently I notice the flow rate of the thing reduce by 60% +. I took it a part to clean it etc. but nothing seem to be able to increase it flow rate back to its original state. lets just say I'm really disappointed with this brand of wave maker(if any one interested its from hydor), I installed it to eliminate dead spot in my tank but it can barely move water 2 foot from where its installed. could use some recommendation here, I'm not look for a salt water lvl of wave maker but it has to move water toward the bottom of my 120g(5 footer). and it wouldn't goes bye bye in a year.

thx for looking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Believe it or not, I've come around to using something that sounds really too cheap to consider! hit me with the idea of $7 for a powerhead and I would have choked. But now I have to say, I'm impressed.
I can't send a link due to forum rules but a search perhaps?

Circulation Pump Wavemaker 530 GPH Aquarium Reef Powerhead Suction Cup Mount

I now have six of these in various tanks and bought at different times over the last year or so. Seem to last as well as any other I've used and far cheaper. Some points that I like? The mount has a bit different than just a suction cup. I had moved to using the Koralia nano to get the suction cup/magnet mounting as I do hate finding the thing pointed down and blowing the sub all over. But these have the small handle which draws a better suction and they seem to hold up if I do a good cleaning on the glass before mounting. I find I can pluck the head off the mount and leave the mount in place when I need to clean it. Easier than removing the mount and then fussing to clean the glass and reattach. The head set on a pin on the mount. Holds solid, works good and very versatile for direction. I like the small size as it hides better and I use more of them to give the flow a smaller "kick" in more places. At the price, I can do that. I can also recommend this particular dealer as one who has been good on all sales from him. No problems to resolve so can't say how he might be on after the fact stuff but I like the "no problem" route best?
One point I do find on these might be good to mention as it might also relate to the problem you have currently. Are you familiar with the way magnet type impellers have to be forced to turn the correct direction? Normally a small point of plastic or some means to make it hit a stop if turning the wrong way so that it does right when the 60 cycle reverses.
Not sure how it is done on the one you have but easy thing to miss and it can leave the impeller turning the wrong way and it just doesn't do much. Certainly sounds like what "might" be your current problem???
But on the type I mention, small plant stuff like Java moss bits can wrap around the shaft in front of the impeller so that it stops the impeller from moving forward to hit the plastic stop. That leaves it turning the wrong way at times if I don't remember to get the cover off and clean. No big thing but it does make me think the thing has stopped working even when turning!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just recently got myself a Current Eflux wave maker setup. I can't speak to the longevity of it but when you buy one pump with a controller you can add two more pumps, one of which will sync up with the first to create actual wave movement. I am only running the single small pump for my 55 at the moment but I may get a second pump to try and clean out a spot where stuff settles. I usually run it at full flow but sometimes I turn it down for feeding. I also like the mounting system for it much more than the Hydor I had before, its not nearly as aimable but that flimsy ball was too easy to break.

Here fishy fishy.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Believe it or not, I've come around to using something that sounds really too cheap to consider! hit me with the idea of $7 for a powerhead and I would have choked. But now I have to say, I'm impressed.
I can't send a link due to forum rules but a search perhaps?

Circulation Pump Wavemaker 530 GPH Aquarium Reef Powerhead Suction Cup Mount

I now have six of these in various tanks and bought at different times over the last year or so. Seem to last as well as any other I've used and far cheaper. Some points that I like? The mount has a bit different than just a suction cup. I had moved to using the Koralia nano to get the suction cup/magnet mounting as I do hate finding the thing pointed down and blowing the sub all over. But these have the small handle which draws a better suction and they seem to hold up if I do a good cleaning on the glass before mounting. I find I can pluck the head off the mount and leave the mount in place when I need to clean it. Easier than removing the mount and then fussing to clean the glass and reattach. The head set on a pin on the mount. Holds solid, works good and very versatile for direction. I like the small size as it hides better and I use more of them to give the flow a smaller "kick" in more places. At the price, I can do that. I can also recommend this particular dealer as one who has been good on all sales from him. No problems to resolve so can't say how he might be on after the fact stuff but I like the "no problem" route best?
One point I do find on these might be good to mention as it might also relate to the problem you have currently. Are you familiar with the way magnet type impellers have to be forced to turn the correct direction? Normally a small point of plastic or some means to make it hit a stop if turning the wrong way so that it does right when the 60 cycle reverses.
Not sure how it is done on the one you have but easy thing to miss and it can leave the impeller turning the wrong way and it just doesn't do much. Certainly sounds like what "might" be your current problem???
But on the type I mention, small plant stuff like Java moss bits can wrap around the shaft in front of the impeller so that it stops the impeller from moving forward to hit the plastic stop. That leaves it turning the wrong way at times if I don't remember to get the cover off and clean. No big thing but it does make me think the thing has stopped working even when turning!
Wow, those are even cheaper if you buy a pair. I've been playing with flow in my 92 corner tank and could use some real small ones. How do those compare in size to the Hydor Koralia Nano 240?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Near the same diameter but somewhat longer.
Wide 1 1/2"
High 2 1/4 as the mounting pin adds 1/4 ?
The motor itself is 2 3/4 long but then if you use the mount with the pin, it adds for a total of 4 1/4. Part of the value for me is that I can mount the suction cups and slide the motor on or when I like to fully hide it, I hollow out a chunk of wood and tuck the motor in without the mount. That can let me have wood sticking up in the center of the tank with the motor sucking water in a hole on one side, blowing out the other but totally hidden. Just an old holey "stump" sticking up. This lets me have some options and the cord can run to the top inside the wood so that it goes to the cover and then to the back of the tank.
These have the stop I mentioned built into the cover as a couple notches. When the 60 cycle hits at the wrong positive /negative, the impeller starts the wrong way but that makes it slide forward where the notches on it and the cover, stop the movement for the split second while the 60cycle goes the other direction. When that hits, the impeller is pulled down off the notches and starts turning the correct direction.
The problem I find is when I have really small stuff like Java moss bits that get wrapped around the shaft. it keeps the impeller from sliding forward. Kind of like it builds a "washer" of moss between the two sets of notches? It would not be a problem if I did not stop the power but I do that almost every water change. So when I see the circulation from a powerhead is gone, I pull the cover and pluck the moss off the shaft.
One of those little funny things that are easy to miss but all motors of this type do the same in some fashion.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode