CO2 dispersion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 dispersion

Just added a CO2 system yesterday on my 20g. Dialing my diffuser and CO2 volume with a drop checker. Yesterday I had it at 1 bubbles/s and increased to 1.5 bubbles/s over the course of the day. This morning went up to 2 and just increased to about 3 bubbles/s.

Initial research said 1 to 2 bubbles per second. Obviously this depends on the tank size and plant type/number. I do have fish so ive been increasing slowly so they dont shock.

How many bubbles/s should I expect before the drop checker gives me the green? Any average?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

No average. With the same bubble count I got 50% variation from the same tank, regulator, hose length, just different check valves. imagine when you change other things on the system....
BPS is only comparable between your system readings, if then.

What is the color of your diffuser at 2 bps? Go slow due to lifestock present, 1 exbra bps per day and monitor non-stop your fish. It takes a while for fish to adapt to live in higer conc. of CO2. But they do adjust their bloodworks and live well, just give them some time.

On hiatus till later this year
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I figured there would be a variance. Did not know it would be that wide though. Ill keep going slow (1bps/day) and keep an eye on the fish. They all look good right now and all are accounted for.

Also, I put my diffuser right under my HOB. BUT the bubbles float up before getting caught in the flow. They then seem to move down 3/4 of the tank and off to the sides. I see some floating on the surface as well. This okay?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Get a reactor or inline diffuser :]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRice View Post
Get a reactor or inline diffuser :]
How's he gonna do that with an HOB?

There' no reason to do that on a 20g. An in tank diffuser works fine. Don't worry about some of the bubbles going to the surface. You don't need 100% efficiency, you should be able to get the drop checker in the green after 2-4 hours into the photo period.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think my wife would kill me if another fish item showed up at the door. Maybe in the future but for now I am only running a HOB filter and don't have the space to set up a canister filter. Guess I will just have to be inefficient for now
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:41 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
If you look at my first tank in my sig you'll see my in tank diffuser on the left and it was a 4-ft tank. the plants pearled all the time and the tank was super clean. ADA uses in tank diffusers on 6 ft tanks. For your 20g its more than enough.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool. Thanks for the clarifications, guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode