Is a journal really worth keeping? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is a journal really worth keeping?

I was just curious about what others thought about journaling what is happening in the tank. I understand doing it for the set up and then maybe if there is a problem but just for standard upkeep i was wondering what others thought. I tried to keep one a while back but never really got into it but was thinking i probalby should with going to diy co2 and a few other things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I do it just too keep tabs on what I'm adding into the water. Say something is going right, and you want to remember the ferts/lighting period, you write a little note about it. But if it changes for the worse, you know that whatever you did in the past 1-2 weeks doesn't work well with your tank.

I have a little notepad with just daily changes being noted, just in case.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm using a journal to keep track of filter replacements, weekly maintenance, and fert dosage until I get a dosing regiment worked out. Plus I suffer from CRS......and I'm sure I would forget.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
The only time I ever kept notes of any kind was when I cycled my first tank My tank is low tech (no ferts or co2) so I see no reason for it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
The only time I ever kept notes of any kind was when I cycled my first tank My tank is low tech (no ferts or co2) so I see no reason for it.

I wouldn't keep a journal for a low tech. but if it's a high-tech tank, most people want to show others what their doing. I like to read journals if im having a problem with my setup, and read other people's journals who have similar setups as mine. It sometimes helps diagnose a problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Personally, I think a blog is better for basic journaling. For Scheduling I use Mozilla Thunder Bird's Calendar and Task list to keep track of any monthly / bi-monthly tasks. If i am just taking notes on a specific tank, I use small notebook, but rarely if ever refer back to them. Usually i use them for concept design or experimentation.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Do you mean a journal here on this site, or a personal log?

I like keeping a journal on here, even if I don't update it much. It's good for photos and major milestones. I don't keep a personal log. Upkeep is second nature at this point, but it is probably would have been useful when I entered the hobby.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode