when do you clean your ehiems? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question when do you clean your ehiems?

Im new to the filter ehiem. ( sorry if i spelled it wrong)
I was wondering how often you should clean them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
It depends on your bioload. Most places recommend cleaning them once every three months.

Having a higher-tech tank will not allow for laziness when it comes to cleaning the filter. It can (and does, as I found out) lead to algae blooms.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Algae Grower

Personally I try to clean mine every 30-45 days. I replace the fine filter pad and flush the rest out with clean water (dechlorinated or RO). I have 2 on a heavily stocked 125gallon, high-tech. I split it up so that I do one every couple of weeks. Depends a lot on bio-load as was already stated.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

Question

It is a "Depend upon" answer.

If its small Eheim filter (they make several types and models) I would suggest weekly if its a large Canister type monthly.

I have a Eheim Pro11 for a 5ft tank and it is cleaned monthly.

I also have a HOB filter (non Eheim) and it is cleaned weekly.

It also depends on what is in the tank as well.

Keith
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivate05 View Post
Having a higher-tech tank will not allow for laziness when it comes to cleaning the filter. It can (and does, as I found out) lead to algae blooms.
Really? Could you, or anybody else, explain the reason behind why it would lead to algae blooms? And do you mean in a particular type or just all around in general?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
In all honesty I do mine every 4 - 6 months no matter how many fish are in the tanks.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
In all honesty I do mine every 4 - 6 months no matter how many fish are in the tanks.
That's exactly what I do with my Eheim's too, I can usually last half a year or even a little more between cleanings. So I was wondering how not cleaning an Eheim as often would cause algae blooms?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:39 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnet View Post
That's exactly what I do with my Eheim's too, I can usually last half a year or even a little more between cleanings. So I was wondering how not cleaning an Eheim as often would cause algae blooms?
Low flow caused by a dirty filter = less filtration and less CO2 distribution. This "may" lead to issues including algae. I'm sure there's a happy medium depending on load, size of tank, size of filter, etc... Personally I'd rather be safe than sorry.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Well, depending on the tank, load, and filter size, sometimes the gunk trapped in the filter media can get ahead of the bacteria's ability to break it down. It isn't an Eheim brand problem. It is an every filter problem.

If any filter gets gunked full of junk, you'll have decomposition and waste products being dissolved into the water column and circulated back into your open aquarium. Stuff trapped in your filter is still in your water column just like stuff floating around in your tank. It may be kept out of sight, but it is still decomposing in your water column.

The filter houses large bacterial colonies that break stuff down into less toxic components. Ammonia gets broken down to less toxic nitrite. Nitrite gets broken down to less toxic nitrate. (I originally had nitrite and nitrate transposed in this post. I edited this post to correct the mistake. The above breakdown is now correct.)

So, the bacteria in your aquarium help, but you can still get an accumulation of stuff that is too much for the bacteria to handle.

Filters have media inside that traps stuff. Now, that stuff does not magically disappear when it gets caught in the filter media. Filters are also designed so that you can get inside them and remove this media. There is a purpose for this. The filter collects gunk in one spot but it is still up to you to remove that collected gunk periodically. Finding the sweet spot in that maintenance schedule is up to the user.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Last edited by random_alias; 11-30-2010 at 02:27 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:59 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
The issue of a gunked filter is typically caused by over feeding. If you feed the proper amount there will be little to worry about. I have accounts that insist on having the filters serviced once a year (cheap-Os) and they do great. Feed the right amount and the filters won't get too gunked. ...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
I don't have an Eheim but another canister and I have cleaned it ... say ... never. <ducks for cover>.

I really need to though. Tank is a 55g with virtually no bioload but I'm sure it has to be icky in there. So since you brought it up...I guess I'll finally do the deed this weekend.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Those $2.50 or so cleaning brushes for the tubes (available at kensfish) work wonders. Flow has greatly increased after cleaning them out.

65g planted tank - 200W heat - PC 192W/6700K - Eheim 2217 - Pressurized CO2 - EI Dosing
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_alias View Post
The filter houses large bacterial colonies that break stuff down into less toxic components. Ammonia gets broken down to less toxic nitrate. Nitrate gets broken down to less toxic nitrite.
You got your nitrites and nitrates mixed up.

And I agree- until you clean your filters, you haven't cleaned out your tank. Water changes definitely help maintain water quality, but organic waste buildups in filters can definitely contribute to algae issues.

I clean most of my canisters about every other month. My Eheim 2217 is on a pretty lightly stocked tank, though, so it gets cleaned probably every 3 months right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
I don't think feeding has everything to do with it. I clean one of my 2 filters every 2 weeks. My filters (Not eheim) get gunked up with dead leafs and plant matter the most. It doesn't seem to affect their flow too much but when I open them up the sponges are pretty gunky sometimes. Not cleaning definitely seems to help BBA grow in my tank. If you think about it, having decomposing stuff in your filter spreads it through your water column since all your tank water runs through there a few times an hour.

The main part of cleaning for me is cleaning the sponges. I often barely touch the ceramic media, and if i do I just rinse it, it usually doesn't get too dirty and it holds alot of the good bacteria.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
You got your nitrites and nitrates mixed up.

D'oh! You're right. Thanks for catching that. I'll edit the transposition.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode