Filter off. Bacteria death? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter off. Bacteria death?

I'm re doing my tank. Filter has been off for a few hours while I was changing out substrate and cleaning rocks/equip. Stupid me forgot to throw my bioceramic things in water. Currently using prime and bottle bacteria. Think I should worry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Did they dry out? If so...probably going to be bad news. If the rings at least stayed wet to some point...you'll probably have some die off but maybe not complete. If you add all the livestock back to the tank then you could possibly have an ammonia spike since the bacteria will not be large enough to handle the bioload as it was previously.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They werent completely dry. A little moist. I'm hoping Prime and bottle bacteria will help while they repopulate... Ill keep an eye out for ammonia

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Unless your bioload is ridiculously high to start off with you shouldn't worry. Bacteria are pretty resilient and should recolonize fairly fast.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It is kind of heavy. 13 neons, 2 otos, 1 bristle pleco in a 20 gallon. Tank has been up for 3 years. I guess we will see how it goes. Thanks for the responses, guys.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybuddha View Post
It is kind of heavy. 13 neons, 2 otos, 1 bristle pleco in a 20 gallon. Tank has been up for 3 years. I guess we will see how it goes. Thanks for the responses, guys.
How big is the pleco? I wouldn't actually consider that very overstocked unless the otos and pleco are huge.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
That's not too bad. The pleco will have the largest load on the biofilter but if you keep an eye on the ammonia you should be fine as long as all the bacteria didn't die off. It should readjust pretty quickly but you still could see a small spike. Just be prepared to do some water changes to keep levels in check until everything stabilizes again.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good to hear that its not too heavy. I've always thought I was on the edge. Pleco is about 3 inches. No ammonia or nitrites today. Otos are real small too.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Prime will reduce the effectiveness of a bottled bacteria like Tetra Safe Start as they are bottled with some ammonia as food, or at least this is what Tetra says. This is mainly a for future reference thing as your bacteria, as everyone said, is likely alright and will bounce back on its own. If you are trying to boost cycling a new tank wait at least 24hrs before putting in the bacteria after using a product like prime.

Here fishy fishy.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybuddha View Post
I'm re doing my tank. Filter has been off for a few hours while I was changing out substrate and cleaning rocks/equip. Stupid me forgot to throw my bioceramic things in water. Currently using prime and bottle bacteria. Think I should worry?
I would tend to think the beneficial bacteria you lost by swapping out the substrate would be greater than any lost due to the biological media drying out a tiny bit. But since you never saw an ammonia spike in the day following the change you should be fine.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode