How do I know when I have too many fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
How do I know when I have too many fish?

I have a 20 gallon. It contains 9 celestial pearl danios, 6 neon tetras, 3 cory's, 1 dwarf gourami, 3 oto's.

The nitrates and amonia levels are consistently fine. the tank is moderately to heavily planted but there is plenty of open swim space. How many more (if any?) fish do you think I can fit (neons and/or CPD's)

I know this whole 1 inch a gallon deal but I also hear that with a lot of plants and decent filtration (has an eheim 2213 on it and a cheap 20 gallon rated HOB) you can 'fudge' with the rule a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/100%)
I would say you could keep about double the amount of fish that you currently have now. I have succesfully keep 90+ fish in my 38gal. heavily planted tank with no problems. And I am currently keeping 40 fish in my 10gal. 20 neons and 20 white cloud mountain minnows.

38gal. Tetras Forest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal. Jungle Low Tech.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Really? That seems like a lot of traffic!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemosreef View Post
I would say you could keep about double the amount of fish that you currently have now. I have succesfully keep 90+ fish in my 38gal. heavily planted tank with no problems. And I am currently keeping 40 fish in my 10gal. 20 neons and 20 white cloud mountain minnows.
40 fish in a 10 gallon...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm curious if the people who get away with heavy stocking are keeping snails. I'm starting to wonder if its really snails that are using up my tanks carrying capacity.

The reason I'm worried about this is I put 3 european ramshorn snails all alone in a 1 gallon fish bowl two weeks ago and the mess they have made in there is mind boggling to me.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
I certainly wouldn't recommend adding 22 more fish to your 20g, but I guess it's possible...

Sounds like your tank is perfectly stocked at the moment.

By the way, snails do not have much (if not none) of an impact on a tank's bioload. In a 1g though, thats a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 04:14 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
I have a heavily planted 20G Long and it has 35 fish in it who all act perfectly content.

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what kinda fish?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would have no qualms about doubling your CPD levels.

My 10 gal currently consists of 3 small nerites, four WCMM's, 8 Danio erythromicron (cousin to the cpd) 1 female betta, 8 Chili Rasboras with very little problems. The tank is very heavily planted, high light, pressurized co2 and normal fert. dosing.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I've got a friend that has a 29 gallon and if I had to guess I would say he had over 100 guppies in it, plus a huge SAE, tons of cherry shrimp and ramshorn and pond snails. He only does a water change once a year and the rest of the time he just tops off. Plant wise he keeps 1 huge amazon sword, 1 huge anubias, a crypt wendti, guppy grass and duckweed. His water parameters are never bad and everything is thriving.

-----
Brad

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
i think that over stocking is a pretty relative term.

If you have healthy animals and constantly good water parameters with 35-40 fish in a 10g then you are fine...

how many people lightly stock a tank and still can't maintain good water quality?

I would agree that you have a lot of room in that tank for more fish, you can safely add about 20 more, but slowly, 5 now... wait a few weeks to get a fair reading on the water quality changes, figure how much more food you need to add to the tank, and most importantly monitor things!

i had a 40g cichlid tank a few years ago with about 30 fish (all 4"+) i did my water changes, and i didn't overfeed, never had an issue.

The amount of fish you can keep in a tank really depends on both your skill level and your dedication level, not the size of the glass box you are using.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
I agree with F22, but i find the more fish I have the more I have to clean my filters and the more i have to battle algae. A light fish load makes maintenance easier i think.
Also for the fish's sake, its a good idea to not over stock certain zones of the aquarium. Having a good spread of bottom dwellers, mid level swimmers and surface fish, allows all the fish to have their own space even when overcrowded.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
This biggest issue with what I can tell with overstocking is the possibility that something could go wrong. Like for instance, I just over cleaned my filter and torched a bunch of my biofilter. If my tank wasn't very understocked, I'd be concerned.

Other than that, I think people tend to be a bit paranoid about stocking. As long as the fish are happy and healthy, and don't look like sardines in a can, I say go for it.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
There's obviously a limit to what you can cram in there long-term, but who knows what that limit is? If your biological system does not seem taxed, then it comes down to the psychology of the fish. They'll let you know when they are stressed from being overly cramped. Watch for behavior and feeding changes, and other signs of stress.

The one-inch-per-gallon rule really only applies to the smaller species like you have. Don't start trying to stuff 20 inches' worth of full-grown oscars into that tank.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Depends on type of fish, fish size, agression, feeding, filtration, ammount of plants, etc.

You can always find a balance. But Each fish has its own requirements.

The stocking 'rules' can be bent(1inch per gallon), but i dont recommend breaking them

Less is more IMO.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode