Don't know what to do - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Don't know what to do

Yesterday I installed my new Fluval 405 on my 30 gallon tank. As recommended I did not put the carbon in because it takes away nitrogen from the plants. I can home today and the water is brown again form the drift wood. I know that alot of fish prefer the tannins but I donít like the look of them. If I fill 1/2 of one tray carbon again (like i had in my zoomed canister), would this little bit of carbon hurt the plants? one small bag was enough to keep the tannins out of the water. Is there another options besides water changes? rite now there is the sponges, ceramic disks, peat pellets, and ammo chips(which I am removing next filter change)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
The yellow water will stop leeching from the driftwood after some time. Water changes really help. The peat pellets in your filter will also color the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Carbon doesn't remove nitrates from the water and isn't harmful to plants. For tannins, however, my personal experience is that Purigen works better and lasts longer than carbon.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Large water changes are about the only thing that's really helped for me. I have Purigen in all my filters, and it helps some. I guess very high quality carbon will also help.

As for carbon in tanks, I don't think it hurts it too much. Granted, I don't run carbon on any of filters (don't think I need it with the Purigen), but before I went planted, the only thing that kept Nitrates down was good weekly water changes.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
In my experience, carbon isn't detrimental to the plants but it does help with tannin removal. Water changes are definitely key though too. I've also heard purigen works well. You could try putting in the carbon to see if it helps with the tannins and if the plants seem to be suffering, you might just think about upping your dosing regime a little bit. You could also use carbon until you can get your hands on some purigen if you want to go that route.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 05:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
purigen is magic, it's reusable, and clears your water very well.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
You could try boiling the driftwood for a bit in order to get some of the tannins out. This process may take a while though.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow. with all the refs for purigen it would be dumb for me not to try. On Seachem website it states that 1L is good for 1000 gallons. so 100ml would be good for up to 100 gallons correct? I am only running a 30 gallon tank. when I go and pick it up, should I only run 50ml, or would the 100ml work fine?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
The 100ml package comes in a presealed bag, makes it really convenient to use. If you buy the larger sizes, you have to provide a bag to put it in, but you must buy a bag that has very small holes, like 180 microns, the purigen granules are extremely small.

I have several of the 100ml packages, 1 in each filter on my 48gal tank, so I can recharge them at different times. They usually last about 2 months before they need to be recharged. The more you get, the longer it takes before you need to recharge it. So if you use the 100ml bag, you will need to recharge it in 2 months, but if you use say, 250, you can go for 5 months. (it all depends though, when you do your filter maintenance, look at the bag and see if it's all brown with no white left, when this happens, its time to recharge)

Recharging is very easy, just take it out, put it in a cup (must be a red solo cup :P) add a 50:50 sol of bleach and water, or just do straight up bleach, and let it soak for a day. Then rinse it in water and soak for another day in water mixed with Prime or any other de-chlorinator and you're good to go.

The only issue I've ever had with purigen, was forgetting about it while it was recharging.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
If you keep the peat in your filter you are just wasting time with purigen...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
Yea thats what i was thinking, the peat in your filter will turn your water yellow and fill up your purigen really fast. If you are trying to use the peat to soften your water, i would suggest using partial reverse osmosis water during water changes.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekick101 View Post
wow. with all the refs for purigen it would be dumb for me not to try. On Seachem website it states that 1L is good for 1000 gallons. so 100ml would be good for up to 100 gallons correct? I am only running a 30 gallon tank. when I go and pick it up, should I only run 50ml, or would the 100ml work fine?
Purigen is an excellent media. It's rather expensive, but it is also rechargeable.

Keep in mind that manufacturers tend to be "very optimistic" when it comes to estimating how much water their product will process. I'd go for the larger size. It's not going to hurt anything, and it will last longer between recharging.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode