What is going on with basic home depot Smart bleach. Discontinued? Replacement? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is going on with basic home depot Smart bleach. Discontinued? Replacement?

What is going on with basic home depot Smart bleach

I use this to disinfect all my aquariums and accessories because its dirt cheap and contains no additives. Just pure bleach.

They normally have tons of this stuff even at multiple locations in the same store.

They are out of it at every store within 100 miles of my house. The ones that are not out are almost out.

I don't think you can store it because it breaks down and its too unable, so you always need to buy fresh bleach.

Does anyone of a suitable replacement bleach for disinfecting aquarium equipment from disease and what is going on with Home depot and smart bleach?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Ummm....plain bleach from any other store that carries bleach. I buy mine at Wal-Mart. Plain bleach. It's actually stronger than most other bleach since it's more concentrated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Ummm....plain bleach from any other store that carries bleach. I buy mine at Wal-Mart. Plain bleach. It's actually stronger than most other bleach since it's more concentrated.
Are you talking about walmart house brand of bleach? I think its called " a great value"?

So if the bleach said that it is " scented or low splash" , it means there is additives that might create residue on the fish equipment?

Thanks.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
They are creating some confusion on bleach with the new marketing names. What we do need to look at is not the name but what is in the bottle! Look for the percentage of chlorine as some are coming up different than the old standard 6% .
And we don't want any of the scents or colors as they are just prone to being more expensive as well as potential for adding "wildcards" that we don't need.
Yes, the Wal-mart "Great Value" brand is as good as any but it does pay to check the label for concentration. Not that the amount is really very critical as we are guessing at how much gunk we need cleaned but then I like to get the same amount of chlorine each time as that is what I pay for, not the water they mix it with.
One way to help bleach last longer is watching where you store it. If the lid is not tight, it will lose all the chlorine and just be a jug of water. Also watch the temp and keep it out of the sunlight. When folks worry about how to clear the bleach off things like rocks and wood we might use it on, they forget how easy it is to ruin a jug of it. The good stuff will gas off really quick if you don't store it really tight.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Yeah, great value is just under 10% and the stuff I use is odor free. I use it in our swimming pool whenever it needs shocked.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode