Who uses 100% RO in their planted tank with fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Who uses 100% RO in their planted tank with fish?

Do you use an active substrate? Inert? How do you prepare your RO water? Age, remineralize, aerate, ect? I dug out my RO filter...I might just buy a new one since they are so cheap now...mine has been sitting quite a while and I may have ruined it as it's had water in it this whole time. I only ran it until the water come out clear but it's reading TDS 11. I might run 5-10 gallons out of it and then see what it's reading. If I can clear it out and get a 0 or near 0 reading I'll probably just go with it. Anyways...regardless what happens with this filter or if I get a new one....I want to start making water for my shrimp tank since I'm upgrading to a larger tank that's cycling now...so instead of using the Wal-Mart RO water that we also drink as I have been in my 7g shrimp tank...I'm just going to make my own and store in a 5 gallon container for top offs and water changes. I don't need more than that per week at this point.

However....when I get my other new tank setup....it will be slightly larger yet at 32g compared to the 11g shrimp tank. So I am still deciding if I'm going to use RO water in that tank which will be heavily planted and have fish or do RO water/tap water or just tap water, but I suppose that's a topic for another discussion. Right now I'm just wondering what folks do to their RO water, those that use it, in their planted tanks that have fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 01:52 PM
TCP
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've been using RO water for about 6 months and I found the clarity of water is much better and I don't have to add tap safe either so no chemicals
I buy mine at the LFS about £4 for 25litres and I change 50litres a week so it might be time to look at making my own RO water I'll have to check prices of filters.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought a Reverse osmosis deionized unit thinking it would be useful in maintaining a soft water environment. I usually used 10 gallons and mixed it with aged tap water. I also use a PH controller at 6.5 which is what it was when added to the tank. I recently stopped using RODI water so that the co2 would bring the water to 6.5 and have a higher CO2 concentration. I just noticed today that the plants are pearling. I now only use the RODI for topping off, and drinking. Good Luck.

tanks
d

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use 100% RO water. Stored in 55 barrel drums, heated, aerated, remineralized, and a power head to keep it moving.

I use CaSO4, MgSO4, and K3CO3 to adjust GH/KH.

And I have heavy stocking of both fish and plants.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode