• 2 Post By snailer
  • 2 Post By brian.brigg
  • 2 Post By gus6464

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Planted tank w/ sump?

Is this still not the preferred method for CO2?

The reason I ask is because I am thinking about leaving the reefing side of things and converting my reef tank to planted. My reef tank is fully automated and would like to carry this over to the planted. By fully automated I mean it does the following:

Auto top off
Auto water change
Auto RODI water creation

The only thing I do is swap out the sediment filter on my RODI every 6 months and carbon filters every year.

I also have dual stage CO2 setup on it for my calcium reactor w/ a 20lb tank. Everything is monitored with an Apex.

Also all the equipment is in the garage plumbed through the wall. I do not want to put stuff in my office.

I have a manifold as well that houses the UV, chiller, carbon reactors, algae reactor, etc. What would be the most efficient way to put the CO2? Attach a Cerges to the manifold feeding the sump?

I also have an old school ATI T5 Powermodule T5 unit as well as a Philips Coralcare LED which can grow plants no problem.

Can pressurized CO2 work in a tank with a sump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am researching this exact question and I see a lot of setups with sumps and running CO2 and making the system work well, there are just too many positives with a plumbed overflow system and a sump.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (75/100%)
You definitely can have co2 with a sump system. I run a wet dry sump on my 60p and use to run a similar set up on a 120g. Your higher oxygen levels will allow you to hit higher co2 levels while keeping your plants happy and your fish safe. You may burn through co2 faster but co2 is pretty cheap. You can also seal your sump to prevent sum of the off gassing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 07:40 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Is this still not the preferred method for CO2?

The reason I ask is because I am thinking about leaving the reefing side of things and converting my reef tank to planted. My reef tank is fully automated and would like to carry this over to the planted. By fully automated I mean it does the following:

Auto top off
Auto water change
Auto RODI water creation

The only thing I do is swap out the sediment filter on my RODI every 6 months and carbon filters every year.

I also have dual stage CO2 setup on it for my calcium reactor w/ a 20lb tank. Everything is monitored with an Apex.

Also all the equipment is in the garage plumbed through the wall. I do not want to put stuff in my office.

I have a manifold as well that houses the UV, chiller, carbon reactors, algae reactor, etc. What would be the most efficient way to put the CO2? Attach a Cerges to the manifold feeding the sump?

I also have an old school ATI T5 Powermodule T5 unit as well as a Philips Coralcare LED which can grow plants no problem.

Can pressurized CO2 work in a tank with a sump?
I'm currently in the process of adding a sump to my planted tank. I had a custom acrylic ghost overflow built so that I can use a Bean Animal setup to minimise bubbles which should help with the CO2 consumption. In any case I have also put together a 20 inch large diameter Cerges type CO2 reactor which should be able to keep CO2 levels high enough.

I'm planning to use marine style filter socks and have two of the large Marine Pure blocks for biological purposes. I will also be trying a cross flow wavemaker to ensure good flow to try to prevent algae outbreaks. I will be home in a couple of weeks and will start putting it all together soon after. I will let you know how it goes.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Algae Grower

29 gallon aquarium and a 20l refugium diy sump.

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclecticjanie View Post
29 gallon aquarium and a 20l refugium diy sump.

I plan to add CO2 to the return on the system. I've left just enough space for the cylinder system.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-28-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Some people run a Rex Griggs CO2 reactor separately in the sump with a smaller recirculating pump, probably the easiest way. I don't have a huge understanding of reef tanks, but I think the idea is similar to a carbon/Ca reactor setup.
Auto-water change, nice. You'll have to work out new Ca, Mg and Carbonate doses to bring the up the GH and KH to levels you want, same with nutrients.
Not sure if the algae scrubber is necessary/ will do any good.

75g Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forest's Edge:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
So, I am setting one of these up for a 180. Here is my take from research. This will work. You will off gas a bit more CO2. However, you can easily hide a large co2 reactor, which can increase your CO2 diffusion to 100%. I would guess that it works out to about a wash on the CO2 front. Granted, this assumes you run a bean animal with the siphon tube under water.

IMO, even if you wasted 50% CO2, the costs are pretty negligible when compared to the benefits.

Benefits:
Timeout zone
Increased Biofilter
Room to grow plant fast stem plants to improve water quality
Can setup an algae cleaner station. If you can't have shrimp in the display, put a ton of amanos in a sump section slightly starved. They will clear any algae you throw down there.
No equipment in site
Greater water volume
....the list can go for days depending on what you want.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are you planning on keeping the carbon filters installed? Seems like a bit of a waste in a planted tank.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananableps View Post
Are you planning on keeping the carbon filters installed? Seems like a bit of a waste in a planted tank.
No I was planning on putting purigen in the media filter.

Basically setup was just going to consist of brightwell bio brick in the sump. I run a bio brick already but in a wet/dry setup in my sump where the brick is suspended in the air and has water fall on it. Was going to do the same thing with a fresh brick.

Then manifold with the following items connected.

Cerges co2 reactor
UV
Chiller
Purigen reactor

The chiller is kinda mandatory as my sump is in my garage and it can get quite hot in the summer.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Anyone know a place to source UVL red sun T5 bulbs? That was my fav bulb back in the day.

Decided on using my beloved ATI fixture.

ATI Powermodule T5 8 bulb
Got it a couple years ago in shambles used for $100. It was all rusted and ballasts didn't work with reflectors that needed to be trashed. Sent it to get a custom powdercoat and then I replaced all the ballasts with Philips Advanced Centiums which are an upgrade from the stock HEP units and replaced all the reflectors. Also rewired the light to do 4, 6, or 8 bulb mode.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:29 PM
Algae Grower

So is the plan to run the CO2 reactor return line back in the return chamber of your sump or will you run the return line directly into the tank? I'm assuming the former, but just curious.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah nothing wrong with a sump, I'd like to switch to one!

Regarding your auto top off and water change, if it's like a constant drip water change you will probably want to avoid that as you'll be wasting fertilizer and probably running too lean.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode