Fish foods - The Planted Tank Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Fish foods

Just wondering what others are using.
Over the years I've stuck with the Tetra line but now am really looking into ingredients and am doubtful as to how good it really is. I know some swear by and swear at Tetra so what all are you using?
I'm thinking of maybe keeping the Tetra flakes as a staple and starting to feed the Repashy Soilent Green to the plecos for conditioning for breeding.
Looking at viable cost effective solutions to feeding over 30 tanks right now and over 100 in the next 3 months. I buy the 4.5 lb container and it lasts a couple of months.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm a big fan of New Life Spectrum foods. From saltwater, AF cichlids, SA headbusters, to little guys who eat flake, all my fish have done well on it. I have to order it, as not many folks around me seem to stock much. Even then, I consider it a good deal and the expiration is always a year or two away

I've also heard nothing but good things about Cobalt foods, which I see for sale everywhere. I'm just stuck on NLS and have had great results.

I also really liked Sera Flora veggie flakes when I bred Tropheus moorii, and for a lot of the more veggie needing Africans. Its a shame when you grab a can of veggie flake and the number 1 ingredient was Fish Meal... That's when I switched away from Tetra foods. Reading labels was a big eye opener for me too

*edit: Holy cow!, I went back to fact check myself on the veggie flake and the number 1 ingredient is now Fish Meal!!! 10 years ago it was Spirulina, then 3 other veggie things and fish meal was the forth ingredient. Not anymore, yikes. I guess not only should we read our labels, we should read them over again periodically...

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Last edited by KayakJimW; 11-27-2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: *
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You just gotta read those ingredients on the labels!

Sadly, for many fish foods the main ingredient (listed first in the ingredient list) is fish meal. This is a problem. Why? Well many fish meals are made from pieces parts of fish not suitable for human consumption. This includes heads, bone, scales and such - it's often cannery waste products! Ground, dried and loaded with preservatives, it sits in a warehouse for who knows how long until ordered by a fish food manufacturer. Now because it's a dry powder (as opposed to a wet protein) copious amounts of starch is required as a binder/filler when making fish food. This is often grains like rice, wheat, gluten, etc.... So the fish food is made, more preservatives are added and it sits in another warehouse or on the pet stores shelf until purchased by the consumer.
Now bear in mind that fish in the wild don't normally eat grain products, so it passes through as excess waste!
High quality fish foods use [often fresh] whole fish with little binder filler.
I used to see contrails of poop from my fish, but years ago when I switched to higher quality foods, this stopped.....and less waste results in healthier fish and lower tank nitrates!

So read those labels and you decide. I prefer Omega One and Almost Natural. New Life Spectrum comes in 3rd as although they use 'whole fish', my fish excrete more waste when fed NLS.
Cost may certainly be an issue for some, especially with many tanks. Then again, it's like those commercials for dog food where the main ingredients are corn, wheat and or by products. What's best for the fish?!

Footnote: Like us, I tend to believe that a high quality diet pays huge dividends in the health and well being (not to mention breeding and life span) of our fish.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:04 AM
Planted Member

I grow my own cultures. Mosquito larvae/bloodworms is the easiest to do with no maintenance outdoors. Daphnia and different fairy shrimp varieties are good to. I keep baby brine eggs around for fry. Frozen foods can be mixed with garlic and veggies and some tank water and then refrozen in eggcrate to make pre-portioned cubes for convenience. Definitely worth it to grow your own

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

The challenge with live food cultures is providing a balanced diet. Even lower quality commercial fish foods provide vitamins and minerals that are not found in a somewhat limited collection of cultured live foods. I think what makes the most sense is supplementing a good quality commercial food with cultured foods.
ChrisX and ChrisX like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Have always mixed several brands of flake or pellet food's in small Tupperware containers to feed the fishes I care for.(keep it in fridge)
Omega One flake,Ocean nutrition flake,tetra crisps/flake along with afore mentioned pellet foods such as New life spectrum,Hikari sinking pellets/wafer's,shrimp pellet's,cichlid formula.
Recently found a new pleco food by Fluval called Bug Bites that my plecos as well as live bearer's seem to like very much.(fly larvae fed on vegetable matter)
Have also offered frozen krill,tilapia,shrimp,for larger fishes over the year's.
To me,,is more important to offer a variety of food's than one or two.
I also buy small container's of food's rather than large container's that could lose nutritional properties long before the container is empty.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Planted Member

...considering feeding isopods to my puffer. Anyone had any success with this? SA puffer

post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Just wondering what others are using.
Over the years I've stuck with the Tetra line but now am really looking into ingredients and am doubtful as to how good it really is. I know some swear by and swear at Tetra so what all are you using?
I'm thinking of maybe keeping the Tetra flakes as a staple and starting to feed the Repashy Soilent Green to the plecos for conditioning for breeding.
Looking at viable cost effective solutions to feeding over 30 tanks right now and over 100 in the next 3 months. I buy the 4.5 lb container and it lasts a couple of months.
frozen blood worms

smash the frozen cubes between plastic wrap and drop nuggets of frozen worms in a small jar to defrost and then pour into tank. freeze whatever you dont use left in the plastic wrap for next meal.
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Been using Tetramin for 40+ years . Pretty much everything will eat it , so I use it as a supplement between feedings of blackworms , fruit flies , or frozen .Maybe feed it 2-3 times a week . Tried the generic flakes ( Ken's Fish) and they seem to be just a good , as are any of the name brands . A lot of the agonizing about flake content may just be the result of splitting hairs over fractional changes in content . If my fish are healthy , active , live normal life spans , and will produce eggs when set up for breeding , then they're doing fine no matter it says on the outside of the container .Though if I were running 50+ tanks again , I'd give the Kens Fish flakes a try . Might be a couple of bucks cheaper in quantity . Just as an aside , I wonder if Tetramin's formulation has changed through the years ? Be interesting if there was a 10 or 20 year old container someplace where the ingredients could be compared with the current stuff .
ChrisX and ChrisX like this.

Last edited by someoldguy; 11-29-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spell check doesn't
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Planted Member

Earthworms/redworms and the like. If they're especially big I chop them up with scissors. These can be purged and gutloaded as well

roadmaster and roadmaster like this.
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find little difference in the fish quality when changing foods but I do go for using a variety as there is some small difference in many brands/types. But for the best value, I like to get it from folks who do raise lots of fish. I get large quantities from local dealers in bulk. Fully half the pricing of fish food is in the package rather than the food itself.
Close enough to any of the pond folks in your area that you could just drop by and talk shop over a few pounds?
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 10:17 AM
Planted Member

.... I tried mealworms for the big guys but once they could recognise them they seemed less interested. The ones that sank were always gone in the morning so maybe the loach. Same with the wax worms. I'd like to find a semi-universal live option for both larger fish and amphibians

post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 AM
Algae Grower

I've only just gotten started (again) but am planning to mostly use home grown/made/cultured food. I have access to a big garden where I can get produce, fresh eggs and plenty of microfauna from a fishless freshwater pond. I already have a steadily increasing population of copepods, ostracods and detritus worms and am in the process of setting up a system to culture such critters more effectively. I'm also going to try to get my hands on some daphnia. This will be supplemented with homemade food primarily composed of vegetables bound with egg yolk. This will be supplemented with yeast (actually read a study today on how yeast supplements stimulates growth in fish!) and eventually flower petals (again, from the garden) for additional colour enhancement.

Yeees I'm a geek. >.>
splattered and splattered like this.
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Planted Member

Now we're talkin! I got my daphnia culture started by pulling a bunch of rotted leaves and muck from the bottom of a pond in the countryside. Watch for hydra but I had a nice crop this year with the unreasonable warmth. We just got our first freeze last week so I was pulling daphnia/bloodworms/coepapods out through October

post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 11:29 AM
Planted Member

.... love the flower petal idea btw

rhiro and rhiro like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode