No problems with bleach soaking holey rock. I use a ton of the stuff and just do it as I do all the tank stuff. Soak it overnight or so, rinse to dilute the bleach to make it less slippery and less prone to dripping on your clothes, Then lay it out to dry. When you smell the bleach after drying, it is likely to not be bleach but the remaining dead stuff left on the rock.
If you think about bleach, it is what is used to clean the tap for many of us so the only difference is the amount of water in a jug of 6% chlorine versus the tap water. If you are in a small community well or private well which is chlorinated, they do actually just go to the store and buy bleach off the shelf as a handy form of chlorine. Buying big expensive equipment to inject liquid chlorine is just not in the budget for small operations. So when you rinse something that has been soaking, you are diluting the bleach down to the near the same level as normal tap water and we deal with that amount of chlorine much of the time. Give it time and it gasses off and blows away.
The problem with bleach is that there are far too many folks who like to pass on stories about some magic item in bleach. But then have you ever read what that mystery item is called? It must truly be bad stuff though as it can't be named, can't be seen, and only comes out when fish are there to be killed. That is one mean item ----right up there with gremlins, hoodoos, and ghosts!
Why would you bleach rocks? One thing is to get holey rock white so it sells better!!! Pretty routine thing to do.
Last edited by PlantedRich; 11-28-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Reason: added info