Best driftwood and rock options (driftwood that doesn't leech as many tannins) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best driftwood and rock options (driftwood that doesn't leech as many tannins)

I am starting a new tank and want to include more of a hardscape into my planted aquarium. Eventually I want it overgrown with plants but still want to focus on it.

What driftwood are the best choices?
-I want as little of tannins as possible, I know it's beneficial for certain fish but I prefer clear water if possible
-I don't want to have to soak it for months

What are good rock choices?
-I am pretty sure most don't alter the water much if at all but what aquarium rocks should I avoid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 08:55 PM
Planted Member

I'm not entirely sure what woods leech less tannins, i've surrendered to them, however, boiling the wood a handful of times usually makes it alot better.

Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live forever.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
To get wood that doesn't leach tannins, get wood that is TOTALLY dry. Not just dry for a few years but totally dry all the way through!
Some reading on tannin may help with this idea. Tannin is the color that comes from the moisture/sap or whatever we want to call it in wood. It's often found mostly in the layer just under the bark. So it is often a good idea to avoid wood will bark still intact as it has not dried enough to fall off. So we can often avoid the hassle of color if we avoid the sap. As with most things in the hobby, it is not a 100% sure bet as there are some woods which seem to never stop but at least I like to go with the best bet and that is dry wood. So finding how to tell dry from somewhat dry is a starter.
Dry wood may have a musty, natural smell but not anything that smells like a Christmas tree! The conifers like cedar, fir, spruce hold their sap and often smell so avoid that smell. Go for wood that feels lighter than it might if wet. Hard to judge if not used to working with that wood but good if you can find it. Look at the color to compare the inside color to the outer layers. Wood dries from out to inside and as it does the color often changes so if we cut off an end of a piece we can see when the outside has dried but not the inside. Often the dry will be a lighter color, so going for a white wood has a better chance than a dark wood.
Put all these points together and you have a good shot at missing all the trauma of tannins!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like ADA Hornwood because it sinks right away. But so do Mopani wood and Malaysian driftwood so it is all down to personal preference. As far as I know they all leach tannins. Doesn't really bother me.

For stone I have used a few of the ADA ones. Yamaya, Ohko, and Manten. So far my favorite is Manten. Really just a beautiful stone. I would like to try Seiryu stone in the future but it raises pH and hardness so I need to use it in the right tank where that won't matter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:15 AM
Algae Grower

I'm pretty sure petrified wood won't leak tannins and it sinks like a rock.

I had a jumbo piece of mopani drift wood that leached tannins for several months. All is good now, but my aquarium looked like tea for awhile.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:18 AM
Planted Member

I use fake resin driftwood/roots in my cichlid tank.

Live to plant!

Tags
driftwood, least amount of tannins, rocks, tannins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode