How to clean a tank and gravel that has been in a garage? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to clean a tank and gravel that has been in a garage?

I'm pretty sure you use vinegar and warm water to clean the tank right?
Will that kill any possible bugs, larvae, or parasites in the tank? The tank's top is open and has no cover over it and that is the same with the gravel. I thought I heard some people having mosquito larvae or parasites after cleaning it.

How would i clean the gravel?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Bleach. You can soak it in bleach water then drain, rinse, and soak in Prime water. Drain and rinse and should be good to go. Or you can boil or bake it .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There will be dozens of ways to go. Some will say do nothing and take a chance some will not want to take any chances. I go with no chances so I look to what experts do to clean up /sterile things. They use chlorine like found in bleach to clean the water we use so that is good enough for me.
When I buy a used tank, I have no idea what the history may be so I go for a bleach soak on all the equipment. In a tank under 20-30 gallons, I fill it set the filter on and then add any décor like rocks or wood. Then a bit of bleach without scents or colors, just the cheap stuff? Maybe a couple tablespoons to half cup but it isn't a precise number as we don't know how much organic (dirt?) it has to clean but we just want enough. I let it all run overnight or so to make sure it soaks into everything and then drain and rinse. At that point it is diluted to almost the same as the tap water and just go as normal from there. If you are soaking gravel, I may spread it out and let it dry really well if I'm planning to store it. Wet/damp gravel can grow fungus and weird stuff so I want it totally dry first.
I like my plates clean before I eat and do the same for my fish, whether there is something bad there or not.
AbbeysDad and AbbeysDad like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks, forgot about using bleach. Problem solved

Tags
cleaning tank in garage, garage, gravel cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode