Salvaging a tank from all my junk - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Salvaging a tank from all my junk

Hello all,

New to Freshwater bit not to aquariums. I have always had marine tanks. I decided to switch after my bubble tip nuked everything 7 months ago. Long story on that for a other time.

What I have is a 75 gallon tank. I ordered 2 of the fluvel 306 canister filters from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow. I know I should not have done this on my first build but decided to use miracle grow topped with 1 mm diameter black sand. I added in 4 granite rocks that I found at work. So far I have the tank half full of water and am using a HOB filter to start the cycle. Dosing ammonia daily.

Now comes to my salvaging issues. I have two Mars Aqua 165 watt lights suspended 16 inches over the tank. Will these work for plants if I only use the white side?

Can I use the moonlight? I really like the shimmering effect at night on the water and would like to keep it.

Will I need co2? I have the tank and regulator from the calcium reactor I had hooked up to the marine tank.

I am still not sure what my stocking will be. I have hard water from tap, 8.5 PH and DH of 17 (got to love LA City water). I do have a RODI system I can use to make water. I have time to decide while it cycles still. I do want shrimp though so that will limit my stocking.

For plants I am planning on Amazon Fern, Java Moss, Myria, Ludwigia, Micro Sword, and maybe Water Sprite. Oh, and a single Brazillian Sword or Amazon Sword.

Long first post, but believe I have everything. Feedback appreciated no matter how bad it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That is a lot of light over a 75 gallon, I assume you can run them at a reduced power level? The moonlights shouldn't hurt anything. You may run into algae issues, especially early on with a freshly dirted tank. CO2 might be necessary depending on how high you run the lights. I would fill the tank all the way up and hook up the canister filters when they arrive so bacteria can grow within them instead of the HOB you are currently running. Do you have heater for the tank?

I use a mix of very hard tap water and RO water to achieve nice shrimp parameters. If you're serious about shrimp just beware that if a fish can get a shrimp in its mouth, it will so lots of cover (plants) and relatively small mouthed fish would work best.

Your plant selection should give you good results as they don't seem to be too difficult to keep.

Don't be afraid to share pictures and take us along for the ride as you build this tank up.

Good luck with it all, sounds like an interesting build with the equipment you have!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 03:57 AM
Algae Grower

Water from LA changes hardness almost seasonally.

Last edited by Lozinit; 11-18-2017 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode