how to setup a Co2 pressurized injection system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
how to setup a Co2 pressurized injection system

I'm curious about this. since I have a 50gallon tank. I been doing the DIY co2 and already tired of it. where you get these for cheap. I checked online..the total seem like 250$. i can only afford 150$ rite now.

co2 pressure regulator with solenoid (w/bubble counter) =90$
timer=10$
co2 tank 90$ 5lbs. --------how long will this last? 1yrs?
reactor 20$ or DIY
silicone -will tend to hard later on i bet.
hagen ladder?? already have it.

what else do i leave out?

I'm wondering how much you all put the system together? and where?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you're gonna spend close to $200, then consider this route instead:

Milwaukee regulator & SMS controller: $138 shipped (glass-gardens)
Reactor: DIY for $10 (more than this if you go w/clear PVC)
CO2 tank: $50-60

That's it. You won't need a timer, the Hagen ladder, or silicon (not sure why it's in there in the beginning). System is fully automated once it's set up and you won't have to worry about it afterwards.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
This is cheap. System 1 would keep you around $150. Contains everything you need but the cylinder.

Where are you getting $90 for a 5 lb cylinder? That is way too high. With some searching I bet you can find it locally for $50-60 or if not, eBay can be pretty cheap.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 11:42 PM

Locally, the cheapest I can find a cylinder is $100... That is filled, but I have seen them on the web for half that price.

I want to save the money by ordering online, but the way the guys talk at the welding and gas places is that they wont fill a tank that isn't theirs..( I only have 2 welding and one gas place that's nearby).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Mike,

If you go to your profile and fill in your location it really helps us a lot. Did you check fire extinguisher shops for a cylinder?

Here is one way to set up an inexpensive system.

Regulator $50
Needle valve $18
Bubble counter DIY
Reactor DIY if you have a canister filter. Or try using the Hagen ladder.
Tubing $10
Cylinder $50 (I can get filled 5 lb cylinders locally for $50 but the price does vary).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeG
Locally, the cheapest I can find a cylinder is $100... That is filled, but I have seen them on the web for half that price.

I want to save the money by ordering online, but the way the guys talk at the welding and gas places is that they wont fill a tank that isn't theirs..( I only have 2 welding and one gas place that's nearby).
See if you can find a homebrew store. They'll know where you need to go. I actually bought my tank at a homebrew store (although that was the expensive route, it was easy) and they kindly gave me a map and directions of the place that fills the things. I got a 10# filled for $5.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 02:00 AM
Algae Grower

All the local places I looked into wouldn't fill a tank they haven't tested. Insurance regulations they said. They would give me a filled tank in exchange for any empty however. I found a tank on eBay for less than half the cost anyone else wanted. Brought it to the closest gas supply shop and had to pay $9.00 more to get a filled tank.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have never heard of a place refusing to fill a tank with a valid test date. Was it new?

opening soon
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 02:35 AM

been lazy and didnt modify profile since i've been a lurker for a while.

Locally, no homebrew stores. Very agricultural area (you'd think there'd be one though) Basically, they said the same what Minneapolis' people said. If it wasn't a tank from them, they would not fill it. So, I will be picking up one from them...

I already have the Millwakee regulator and Glassgardens is sending the rest of my order ( didn't ship with first box). My lights are ordered ( 2x55 AH ) and I will be getting the tank put back together this weekend as well as probably building the hood itself. I'm going for 1x4 hood in a 30x10x3.5 for a 29g. 3.79wpg with AH's reflectors ought to make a bright tank.

Here is a pic of my 20L that I had before taking it down several months ago. using stock hood with CF screw ins, DIY co2 (2l bottle) and a mix of some kinda substrate I came up with from lowes... levelling sand, some kinda peat type stuff that the plant guy said would work, and some small river pebbles. Heater and no filter with 4 tiger barbs.

For not having a clue what I was doing at the time, it was great ! I am so scared of screwing stuff up now after spending many, many, many hours here reading that I don't know how that one did so well...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode