Smart Home Aquarium ? Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smart Home Aquarium ? Help

Hey guys, does anyone no of a way to be able to hook your lights up to a timer that going on a schedule all the time but when you have friends over you can turn it on via Amazon Alexa? Or do you know of anything out there like that. I want a timer that I can interrupt ever now and then without changing the timer. I also am lazy and would like to do it saying “hey Alexa, turn on aquarium lights”. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

idk about something that is both a timer and a smart plug. but they sell smart plugs that can connect to alexa.

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I might suggest going the simple route to get there. Add a parallel path for the light using the smart house? How exactly to set it up will depend n where and how you find convenient but the idea is pretty simple, I think. Don't use the smart stuff so no experience , there.
Idea is to plug the light into an outlet, That outlet is currently fed by the timer. So add a second path to power which feeds the outlet with light and have that come through the smart switch. Think of it as adding a second traffic lane if it makes more sense that way? One path is open when the timer says yes, one is open when the smart says yes. You will not be able to turn the light off by smart if the timer says on but I'm thinking that is okay?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sounds like a Raspberry Pi project haha.

75g Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forest's Edge:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Simple is good! Smart homes? Not simple.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Banned

The Current Dual Ramp timer can can run on a timer and then with a push of a button stay on and antherpush of the bottom will go back to the timer.
https://current-usa.com/accessories/dual-ramp-timer/

I don't know enough about Alexa to know how to hook it up.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Even the simplest of dial timers have a on button you can flip to turn on whatever is plugged in. When you are done with the lights you just flip it back to timer off.

If you want Alexa get a smart socket and a compatible controller and set your times in there. Then when you need it tell it to turn on the lights. That's about your best bet because no one is making Alexa aquarium lights at the moment.

Here fishy fishy.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I have also just found another aption that I think will work quite well, I have found a smart outlet that allows you to set timers for my lights. So I can have it come on at sunlight then off at noon. Then when I’m home and in bed (lazy as can be) I can tell Alexa to turn things on. To be honest, Alexa makes things like that easier. Instead of waking across my room after getting out of bed, opening the cabinet using a flashlight to shine in then turn the switch on my dial timer. (I need to get cabinet lighting) any way I love the smart home stuff to use on actually practical applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
That's about your best bet because no one is making Alexa aquarium lights at the moment.

Don’t we all wish,

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-13-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 PM

Hi all first time poster(greetings from Ireland) I do have a bigger purpose, for registering that I will post in a separate thread.
I currently have a tp link smart plug/socket hooked up to my fluval flex 15 gallon and it's programmed to come on for 10 hours a day, from 12pm till 10pm but if I want to turn the light off I can just tell alexa to turn off tank light and off it goes and the same for turning it on. Now if I wanted to be able to change colour or anything that isn't possible. The only way you could do that is use coloured hue bulbs or a hue light strip and cut it to the length of your tank and you could get it to change at will. They are a good strong light and I'd say the maximum kelvin is about 5 or 6k but I honestly don't know I'm just thinking about how bright it seems in my bedroom when I set it to energize or read.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you want honesty, none of you’re guests will care about anything to do with your aquarium as much as you do. No matter how “cool” it is.

However, If you have a WiFi enabled LED fixture you can control them with you’re phone or your computer and set them to do whatever you want without having to talk to a crappy AI program. You could even have a “guest” program tailored specifically to what you want to show them. Then just go back to your original lighting schedule when they leave.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtony View Post
Hi all first time poster(greetings from Ireland) I do have a bigger purpose, for registering that I will post in a separate thread.

I currently have a tp link smart plug/socket hooked up to my fluval flex 15 gallon and it's programmed to come on for 10 hours a day, from 12pm till 10pm but if I want to turn the light off I can just tell alexa to turn off tank light and off it goes and the same for turning it on. Now if I wanted to be able to change colour or anything that isn't possible. The only way you could do that is use coloured hue bulbs or a hue light strip and cut it to the length of your tank and you could get it to change at will. They are a good strong light and I'd say the maximum kelvin is about 5 or 6k but I honestly don't know I'm just thinking about how bright it seems in my bedroom when I set it to energize or read.

Thanks for the reply, do you happen to know if your smart plug has a timer function to be able to have it on for say 8-12 and then 5-9. Just a split photoperiod. Can you do that with the Tp link?

Thanks, skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRob View Post
If you want honesty, none of you’re guests will care about anything to do with your aquarium as much as you do. No matter how “cool” it is.

However, If you have a WiFi enabled LED fixture you can control them with you’re phone or your computer and set them to do whatever you want without having to talk to a crappy AI program. You could even have a “guest” program tailored specifically to what you want to show them. Then just go back to your original lighting schedule when they leave.

I don’t really care what my guest think to be honest. I’d like them to like it but it really doesn’t change the fact that I love it. It’s just the fact that it’s in my bedroom and half the time when I’m in my bedroom I’m in bed. I don’t want to get up and switch lights I would rather use voice command.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-13-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
Thanks for the reply, do you happen to know if your smart plug has a timer function to be able to have it on for say 8-12 and then 5-9. Just a split photoperiod. Can you do that with the Tp link?

Thanks, skye
yes you can set it in the app to come on and off as much and you like and have it different every day if you wish.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

You gotta wonder....if somebody is too lazy to turn the lights on how do they ever clean the glass, service filter(s), and do water changes!!! <just saying>

Besides, guests in your bedroom?!?! Good grief, keep the lights off! LOL

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
You gotta wonder....if somebody is too lazy to turn the lights on how do they ever clean the glass, service filter(s), and do water changes!!! <just saying>

Besides, guests in your bedroom?!?! Good grief, keep the lights off! LOL

LOL, that’s not even most of the maintenance. Cleaning glass only takes a minute. Don’t compare that to trimming a 120-P full of HC and tons of moss.

And to be clear this is for when it’s at night, I’m not doing maintenance at 12:00 at night. But I may want to say “Alexa, turn aquarium on” and then it is easy as can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtony View Post
yes you can set it in the app to come on and off as much and you like and have it different every day if you wish.

Thanks so much for the info

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-14-2017 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode