Want to start a 75 gallon tank + stand. Best brands to go with? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Want to start a 75 gallon tank + stand. Best brands to go with?

Hi Guys I'm looking to get back into the hobby and want to start a 75 gallon planted fresh water tank.

I do not want craigslist. Prefer to buy something new and preferably with an included stand. I will wait for Black Friday sales so I'm preparing.

The major pet stores carry Marineland, Top Fin, Aqeuon. The Aqeuon 65 gallon seems to have great reviews but I want a 75 or larger tank that is long and not tall.

Aqueon 65g:
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-...e-5126806.html

125g:
Very tempting, but will have to pay more for filters and lighting.
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-...ml?cgid=300207

Currently eye'ing this one, 75g Marineland:
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-...e-5210724.html

Is Marineland reputable and good quality?

----

a) If I were to purchase the GLASS TANK only, what are the highest quality brands besides ADA? I know there are acrylic options but I don't want to spent $500+ for just the tank itself.

b) Then I can buy a separate stand. Any reputable stands manufacturers?

I feel like customizing a and b might be best since the included hoods/lighting that come with other kits aren't that great and will be replaced anyways.

If anyone can point me in right direction off the top, that would be appreciated.
I will be looking at craigslist also but to keep it simple, let's just say I want everything new through Amazon or LFS.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Marineland generally has good quality tanks and there customer service is top notch. I believe their tanks have a long warranty(maybe lifetime) when it comes to seals. The 75 assembly is usually $150 on Black Friday.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

http://www.marineland.com/Products/g...aquariums.aspx

A lot of these reviews kind of worry me

Last edited by rgr555; 11-11-2017 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Link

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Unfortunately, we often cannot see why the tanks fail but then there are times when we do get a good enough look to tell what went wrong. Can we use the last picture in the reviews? The one setting on a tile floor that comes in from San Juan, Puerto Rico ?
We often see people who fault the tank when it is actually their fault. If you start with a tile floor, you are very likely to be on an uneven surface to start as it is almost impossible to find a truly flat, level tile floor. Then put the tank on a weak, poorly designed stand and it will hold for a while but failure is just around the corner so that if you are standing in front of it and lean a little bit on the tank, it may pop the glass.
Glass only breaks diagonally when it is twisted and putting it on that floor and that stand are almost sure to twist it.
Don't worry about the tank quality but do watch how it is used!
thedood, thedood, Nlewis and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone have any experience with Marineland setups?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've used a few over the years and never had a complaint but then I also have never had a tank break for any reason that I would complain about. I break them when moving, etc. but that's a whole different problem!
I find that all tanks are sturdy and well enough built but some are not put together really well at corners and edges seem to be a bit bumpy/lumpy at times so that one can see they are not quite perfect. Nothing that I remember about Marineland over others, however. Seems to be more of a "luck of the draw" thing but it does pay to look at each particular tank if it is something that you want really good. Not something that I worry too far, though. If I were going for a really high quality, great glass type tank, I might look closer but not on the normal commercial grade tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode