After Ich Salinity Reduction for plant safety? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
After Ich Salinity Reduction for plant safety?

Hi guys

I just fought of an ich infestatation....i used the heat and aquarium salt method....it has been over a 2 weeks since i saw signs of white spots so i know i am safe....for the last week I have been trying to get my salt level back to 0...my java fern is melting and i would like lower the salinity quickly before my amazon sword dies

what salt levels are safe for plants?...I was at 2 tsp per gal....after two 25% and one 50% in the last week i figure i am at .66 tsp per gal now

Thanx

Tank size: 55g
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 20
PH 6.8
recycling water now
well stocked
Tank temp: 80f

Last edited by Bklynsburning; 11-10-2017 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Wanted to emphasize in the thread title that this is about my plants more than the fish...otherwise it might seem in the wrong forum...thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update...after losing most of my annubis elodia, i decided to do another 50% water change....this should bring the level down to less than .3

Although i know i will be doing a huge recycle in a well stocked tank, i didnt want to lose all my plants...the java fern is virtually gone...all thats left are some small offshoots that may or may not survive

What should i do when the ammonia spikes?...do i leave it and let it work through the cycle?...or some smaller water changes?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm not sure there is a s big a problem as you might expect but then I've not asked what salt does to the bacteria we need. Does it kill the bacteria? But whether it does or not, the best thing to do after killing the ich is to do water changes to get things back to normal. Keep in mind that the bacteria is not in the water but on surfaces so changing water has no effect on the bacteria. Good to watch for spikes at any time but I'm not aware of it being a real problem due to salt. If plants are dying, you are prone to having far more ammonia, simply due to more debris, so trimming any dying is good as well as water changes.
But I would double down on making CERTAIN that ich is all gone. Leave one little bugger hidden in a gill plate where you don't see it and you get to do the whole process over again. YUCK???

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah....im positive that the ich is gone....i havent seen any signs of it for over 2 weeks....thanx for the reply...i didnt know the bacteria isnt in the water....i should be fine....my tank is well established then....goes to show you even lfs long time employees dont know everything....im gonna do 2 more 50% changes in the next 2 weeks and the salinity should be close to nil

Also...i looked up the effects on bacteria from salt and it doesnt harm them

Thanx again for the reply and info....hopefully my plants can regenerate quicly with root tabs and flourish excel
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sometimes we get mixed feelings about the stuff. We really, really need the bacteria but really hate the slick slimy stuff that grows on the glass. Without a microscope and knowledge, most of us can't tell if that stuff we scrape off the glass is algae, good bacteria or just plain old dirt. So most of us go with cleaning whatever off the glass and that leaves the bacteria taking a small hit but most of it is all around other parts of the tank and certainly in the filter media where we have a "condo " situation for them to hang out.
I sometimes think that "new tank syndrome " might be better called "new tank owner syndrome"! When new we really want to get it going right and do everything so well that we may be cleaning too much of that good stuff. I try to relax and let a little more junk build up before cleaning a new tank. I give those little helpers all the space they want until I feel sure they are all over everything. I can live with a dirty glass for a few weeks if they agree to take out the trash?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode