Neither you dope. 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Hot Glue Or Super Glue Gel

I am going to make a moss wall. I am going to use needle point mesh to attach the moss. I am going to glue suction cups to the needlepoint mesh so I can stick the wall to the side of my tank and easily remove it for trimming. I am considering hot glue and am wondering about its safety and leaching chemicals or should I stay with the super glue gel that is known to be safe. I used some super glue gel to glue fissidens down to granite and it has held up nicely. So should I use hot glue or super glue gel, what say you?

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Super glue from what I've read. Water cures it quickly.

Pictures when you are done please!

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk
thedood and thedood like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclecticjanie View Post
Super glue from what I've read. Water cures it quickly.

Pictures when you are done please!

I actually have a journal for this tank and will be updating it with pictures! Thanks for participating!

75G Seachem Flourite

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower

Iím not sure if hot glue is safe or durable enough, but super glue is for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Drew Z.
NJ
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I doubt hot glue would hold up in the long term. Superglue would probably work. I would suggest finding suction cups with nubs on the backside and cut holes in the mesh for the nubs to pop through.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33pVI View Post
I doubt hot glue would hold up in the long term. Superglue would probably work. I would suggest finding suction cups with nubs on the backside and cut holes in the mesh for the nubs to pop through.
I like this idea. I can affix via the nub and glue it for long term hold. This is an excellent idea. Thanks!

75G Seachem Flourite

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I say super glue but not tried hot glue. My thoughts are that I can't get just a little hot glue. Not sure how the suction cups to mesh will work but an alternate might be to just tie the cups on with monofilament fishing line if it is handy. Since it doesn't need to be really close but more durable? that might give our fat fingers a bit more room to get in and actually pry the suction cups off if we need to do it? But when the suction cups stop working, I've also been known to glue them to the wall! I got tired of the powerheads always pointing down and making a dirt storm.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Super glue worked great for me and cured fast.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Not sure how the suction cups to mesh will work but an alternate might be to just tie the cups on with monofilament fishing line if it is handy. Since it doesn't need to be really close but more durable? that might give our fat fingers a bit more room to get in and actually pry the suction cups off if we need to do it? But when the suction cups stop working, I've also been known to glue them to the wall!
My first idea was to silicone the mesh to the glass. Someone else suggested I might want to take it out to trim it. Sounds reasonable. I am trying to decide a way to keep it flat against the glass. I noticed a lot of people sandwich the moss between sheets. I'm not going that route. We will see what I can come up with.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ready for another thought just to confuse? How about making it close to the glass by getting the plants on, then holding it close to the glass with magnets. Thinking one at each corner to meet one at each corner outside the tank? Or maybe it would serve to slide the bottom into a space like between a rock and wall and then one magnet near the top meeting a magnet outside?
Kind of sandwich the mesh between two magnets.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Ready for another thought just to confuse? How about making it close to the glass by getting the plants on, then holding it close to the glass with magnets. Thinking one at each corner to meet one at each corner outside the tank? Or maybe it would serve to slide the bottom into a space like between a rock and wall and then one magnet near the top meeting a magnet outside?
Kind of sandwich the mesh between two magnets.
I had read of someone else doing the same. In their case the magnets rusted. I found some suction cups with plastic hooks that I could use to hang the canvas from. Most likely the moss will grow well enough to hide the hooks eventually.
PlantedRich and PlantedRich like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
I had read of someone else doing the same. In their case the magnets rusted. I found some suction cups with plastic hooks that I could use to hang the canvas from. Most likely the moss will grow well enough to hide the hooks eventually.
Cable ties.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
Glue some moss on the hooks, too?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is what we are going to try. I bought some 1/4" or 5/15 dowel rods. I am going to use plastic ties to fasten the plastic canvas to the dowels. I will glue the moss to the sheet. I will stick the whole thing in the substrate with the dowels acting as anchors. Should work?

75G Seachem Flourite

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Work a rock into the plan to make sure the dowel doesn't float?
Are you a fishing guy so that monofilament is handy around your house? I like using it on lots of the mesh projects as it is hard to see and cheap. I'm not big on sewing but I can tie the line and then just spiral through the mesh to the other end and that leaves it all pretty straight. Ties are good if you don't have the fishing stuff handy. I just have several reels setting around and the stuff is get stiff from age so I find other uses for it! The dang stuff was never any good for catching fish, anyway.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode