Another "what is this?" question - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another "what is this?" question

Many decades of aquarium experience and I've run into something I've never seen. Started two days ago. Looks to be have increased since the first day. Lights are off today, so I don't know if it's increased again. It's small clusters or singles of white "stuff". Looks like an extremely small flower pod that floats. Couldn't find my magnifying glass and couldn't see in small enough detail with my reading glasses. Nothing has changed in this tank. Perfect water parameters. The only thing is my Laetacara Araguaiae just spawned, but I don't think it's egg casings. Could be. Never seen anything like this. Any ideas? I tried to get my phone as close as possible and still focus. Thanks in advance.

<"\\\><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Do you have snails? Those look like they may be egg clusters.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Planted Member

They definitely seem like some sort of egg clusters to me. Perhaps put them in a QT tank and let them grow?

Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live forever.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A couple Assassin Snails are in there. Here's what I found on them (Unlike many familiar aquarium snails, the assassin snail lays eggs individually, in small, translucent, vaguely shield-shaped pouches. Both the pouch and the round center of the egg are light in color.). Malaysian Trumpets also, but they are livebearers. The "stuff" floats and is very light. No gummy feel or gelatinous residue. Thanks for the input.

<"\\\><
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Interesting. What else inhabits the aquarium?

75G Seachem Flourite

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Laetacara, a few cories, school of black neons, an SAE, a small school of cherry barbs, and half a dozen guppies to surface skim. I'm going to find my magnifying glass this evening or go buy one. I need to get a closer look. More to follow...

<"\\\><
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:17 PM
Algae Grower

Those look like the seeds that would float around my tank from the Jungle Val I had in my tank.
Its interesting some are clinging to things in your tank though - could they be seeds?
aquazone and aquazone like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazone View Post
Laetacara, a few cories, school of black neons, an SAE, a small school of cherry barbs, and half a dozen guppies to surface skim. I'm going to find my magnifying glass this evening or go buy one. I need to get a closer look. More to follow...
Interesting. Would love to see these under a microscope.
aquazone and aquazone like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have a corner of vals. I thought the same thing, seeds. Very small seeds. The thing is I haven't seen any flowers. The only flowers I have are in another tank on my anubias. I'll get a close up somehow!

Bump: Here's the tank.

thedood and thedood like this.

<"\\\><
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

You can see in a couple of the images there is what appears to be a substance of some type that is clearish around the white stuff.

75G Seachem Flourite

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 06:12 PM
Algae Grower

Do you use purigen, filter floss, or anything else that could possibly break up into small clumps like that?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No - don't use any of those materials. Honestly, when I first saw the "stuff" it reminded me of (years ago) aponogeton flower parts or pollen. But again, I don't have any flowers in or around the tank.

<"\\\><
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Is it only on the surface? Looks as though it hasn't even broken the surface tension of the water. Maybe some insect was passing through and thought your tank looked like a good place to lay some eggs. Just a thought. I've found damselfly larvae in my 29, and it has a pretty well covered glass top and a wooden canopy

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Algae Grower

TBH, I am not sure I ever saw a jungle val flower except one time, it was small and close to the substrate. A few days after that I saw those little white things floating everywhere, I just assumed they were seeds. By then val had taken over my tank anyways, I just let them blow around - I don't think they germinated..
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Completely stumped! I looked through a magnifying glass and still couldn't see in great detail. The white spots look like tiny nuclear explosion cloud heads or cauliflower pieces sticking off the surface of the water. A few tops looked rounded like little lollipops. They don't break the water surface and are expelled by the oil on my fingers. The amount didn't decrease from the other day. The fish don't seem to want to eat it either. I took pictures through my magnifying glass, which is hard to do, but still didn't get something that's easy to easy. I need to find a microscope. For scale, the last two pics show very small fern plantlets and Subwassertang pieces growing on my spraybar. Definitely strange.

<"\\\><

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode