Plant shipping expectations? A quandary - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant shipping expectations? A quandary

I have a little bit of a quandary and I wanted to get some opinions.

I ordered some plants from a well-known vendor a couple days ago. We're located on opposite sides of the US and their shipping policy states they do not recommend USPS First Class for plants or livestock. Understanding that, I asked for Priority after checking the USPS website and seeing that they estimate up to 3 days for Priority shipping (that's generally speaking, I didn't actually fake a shipment to see the estimate).

I was a little nervous hearing that my order shipped out today given that we have Veteran's Day coming up. Checking the tracking, it looks like the package will arrive Monday, meaning the plants will be in a dark box for roughly 5-6 days. My guess is that --because of Veteran's Day-- the package is going to miss a Saturday delivery (it's a USPS holiday) and will sit around Sat/Sun to be delivered on Monday.

Should I be concerned that the plants will be dead by then?
In the event that they get here dead, what should I expect from the vendor? Are they responsible because they shipped it out knowing the estimated delivery date (information I had no access to, not knowing what day they would ship)? Is it my fault because I didn't get a faster shipping option? Should I have specified not to ship today?

I really don't know what the proper response should be and am hoping to get a sense from vendors and buyers here what I should expect. The reason I'm asking before receiving the plants is because --if they are dead or damaged-- I'd like to have an appropriate response as soon as possible rather than drag out any process with the vendor.

tl;dr I ordered some plants from a well-known vendor, they shipped on a weird day so the plants will take forever, not sure what I should expect

Thanks for any thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I think the plants should survive. If they are DOA, you would be entitled to a refund. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, because the vendor didn't live up to their end of the deal by providing you what you purchased. Even if it's through some fault of USPS, it's really the seller's problem, not yours. The only other service faster than Priority is Express, and it's WAY expensive. Not worth it in most cases, especially when dealing with flora. Fauna on the other hand might be a different story.

In my experience, First Class generally arrives in the same amount of time as Priority. That's why I would always opt for that service if available. It kind of annoys me when sellers only ship Priority lol. Waste of money IMO.

I think you should just take it easy and stop worrying. They will most likely arrive fine. If they are dead just ask for a refund. Simple as that.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Almost all reputable plant vendors will either refund you or send you new plants if they arrive DOA or in very poor condition. Make sure you take a picture right away. Some don't even question you, but others want it pic.

That being said, did they mail Wed or Thurs? I couldn't tell. Thursday is probably the worst day to ship, especially fragile plants since if they don't make it by Saturday they will be in the system a minimum of 4 days.

I agree with @AlGee. 1st class mail and priority have the same delivery length. It is a myth that priority is quicker. Even if you go into the Post Office you'll see the signs (1st Class 1-3 day), (Priority 1-3 days). Priority was created for packages that are too heavy for the 1st class limit (16oz). Once it goes over 16oz you have to send priority mail or another service.

I'm in NY and most packages going to CA get their in 2 day, otherwise 3. Neither Priority mail or 1st class is guaranteed, although you do get $50 insurance automatically with priority and the vendor gets free boxes.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Algae Grower

My experience with USPS Priority is its 2 day shipping, so I would not be surprised if you received your package Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndblwn View Post
My experience with USPS Priority is its 2 day shipping, so I would not be surprised if you received your package Friday.

It's 1-3 days depending on where it's shipped from and where it's shipped to. When you print the lablel it will even say 1,2 or 3 days.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
It's 1-3 days depending on where it's shipped from and where it's shipped to. When you print the lablel it will even say 1,2 or 3 days.

Yes, correct.
Iím in the Central Valley of California and regardless of where it was shipped from, Southern California, Maine, Ohio, Kentucky etc it has always been 2 days. When I 1st check the tracking it always gives a 3 day eta then shows up in 2. That has just been my experience with USPS Priority.

So to the OP i wouldnít worry about it until Friday and I didnít receive my package. Now if it doesnít show up till Monday and you have any DOA take pictures and email to the vendor. This would be 100% their fault for shipping on a USPS holiday.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Banned

When it says 3 days it doesn't mean it won't arrive in 2 as its done at your location. Priority mail normal delivery is 1-3 days, so it could be either one of those. The days is just giving you notice that it can take 3 days to that location. There are also occasions where it takes 4-5 days, but that's outside the norm. If you mail enough packages like I do, you'll quickly release it doesn't get to every location in 2 days.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Algae Grower

@houseofcards I apologize I some how missed your 1st post to the OP (Maybe we posted about the same time?) and I didnít think to scroll back up. That was my mistake. I agree with you completely. I did make an assumption that it was shipped Wednesday being it is Thursday and the OP has all the tracking info. Mistake 2 for me.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The time of day the shipment is made could make quite a difference too. Dropped off at the post office at 9am could be a lot different than sent out from their business at 3 pm.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey all, thanks for the peace of mind!
It sounds like there's a good chance I'll get them tomorrow, or that they'll survive till Monday, and that if they don't I should just contact the vendor.
Good to know!

I've been keeping tabs on the tracking and they are already en route to my city (it's nice living in a big city) so fingers crossed on the Friday delivery (despite the estimate still saying Monday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
That being said, did they mail Wed or Thurs? I couldn't tell. Thursday is probably the worst day to ship, especially fragile plants since if they don't make it by Saturday they will be in the system a minimum of 4 days.

I agree with @AlGee. 1st class mail and priority have the same delivery length. It is a myth that priority is quicker. Even if you go into the Post Office you'll see the signs (1st Class 1-3 day), (Priority 1-3 days). Priority was created for packages that are too heavy for the 1st class limit (16oz). Once it goes over 16oz you have to send priority mail or another service.

I'm in NY and most packages going to CA get their in 2 day, otherwise 3. Neither Priority mail or 1st class is guaranteed, although you do get $50 insurance automatically with priority and the vendor gets free boxes.
They were mailed out Wednesday afternoon my time.

I also noticed that First Class and Priority had the same time estimates but --not wanting to tempt the gods of DOA-- threw down the extra $5 for Priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndblwn View Post
Yes, correct.
Iím in the Central Valley of California and regardless of where it was shipped from, Southern California, Maine, Ohio, Kentucky etc it has always been 2 days. When I 1st check the tracking it always gives a 3 day eta then shows up in 2. That has just been my experience with USPS Priority.
So fingers crossed for me! Estimate still says Monday (shipped Wednesday) so I'm rreeaalllly hoping I get it by Friday (since there's no Sat delivery). It's good to know you're receiving things within that time-frame no matter where they come from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGee View Post
I think the plants should survive. If they are DOA, you would be entitled to a refund. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, because the vendor didn't live up to their end of the deal by providing you what you purchased. Even if it's through some fault of USPS, it's really the seller's problem, not yours. The only other service faster than Priority is Express, and it's WAY expensive. Not worth it in most cases, especially when dealing with flora. Fauna on the other hand might be a different story.
Totally agree, I'd be super careful about getting fauna through Priority. I managed to get some shrimp with FedEx Ground because they were being shipped from an hour-long drive away (I don't have a car) but they were shipped out during a 90-100F heat wave so uh... it could have been better.

I do expect some/most of the plants to survive, I just know that some are a little more fragile (...and expensive). I'll just wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
The time of day the shipment is made could make quite a difference too. Dropped off at the post office at 9am could be a lot different than sent out from their business at 3 pm.
Hah, end of the day. Don't know if that's better or worse, could mean the plants weren't packaged until later as well. Guess I'll find out soon!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
They'll probably be fine. On a side note, I was wondering where you're at in the central valley. I'm in Atwater, south of Modesto.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
They'll probably be fine. On a side note, I was wondering where you're at in the central valley. I'm in Atwater, south of Modesto.
I'm actually not quite in the central valley, I'm in SF. I figured the distance between the central valley and SF is relatively small compared to the overall travel distance from the East Coast, so I can probably get stuff in the same amount of time as you using USPS Priority.

USPS seems to disagree and I've still got a Monday delivery, just hoping for the best!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I don't know about your local PO, but for I guess around a year or so now my PO ships everything out at night no matter when it's dropped off. Doesn't matter if it's early am even before they open, noon, or near the drop-off deadline. Before then they would send things out maybe 3 times daily: morning, afternoon, night.

I assumed this was due to budget cuts and that it was like this everywhere.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Excuse me but I am thinking how the op will know if plants are dead on arrival or alive? They may look ok when received.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey man how did your plants turn out?

Last edited by AlGee; 11-15-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: edited

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode