Help on New Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help on New Planted Tank

Hello, I'm new to the planted tank world and have just set up my first 30 gallon tank. I am fairly experienced in keeping fish but this is my first endeavor in having a planted tank. My tank has a Fluval 206 canister filter and one "Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light". The substrate is 3 inches of top soil with a 2 inch cap of sand. I currently had my light on for 7 hours a day and dose the tank with a cap full of flourish excel once a week. The tank currently has 1 twig catfish, 6 ottos, 10 amino shrimp and 2 cherry shrimp(with hopefully more on the way). I also plan on getting 2 Nerite snails on my next trip to my local fish store. I have been doing a 40 percent water change once a week for the past two months, but in the last two weeks have done one 40 percent water change and one 30 percent water change a week. The plants I have are Christmas moss, dwarf sag, Brazilian penny wort, 1 amazon sword and dwarf four leaf clover, I also have some s repens on the way.

I am currently having issues with brown hair algae collecting on my plants and some green algae on the glass of my aquarium (the algae on my glass isn't a huge issue due to the ottos as well as scrubbing the glass during my water change). I have decreased my light hours from 7 to 6 as well as no longer dosing the flourish excel. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help with the hair algae as well as anything that could improve my tank as I have found many discussions on this forum helpful with starting my tank.

Tags
advice, brown hair algae, new tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode