90% Water Change - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
90% Water Change

Hey,
I haven?t been on this forum for two years since I kind of let go of my 55g low tech for a while. Only did water changes every month and occasionally cleaned algae(had green hair algae problem). It used to be EI dosed. The tanks been running for 4 years so there?s been plenty of mulm build up. Now let?s get to the point. I had to move the tank from kitchen to the basement due to a kitchen tile replacement. Instead of emptying the whole tank and starting it over, I?ve thought that I should do a 90% water change, leaving all the mulm and bacteria in the substrate. I?ve already moved it with just 10% of the filthiest, most nutrient rich water along with subrate and plenty of plants. I know there?s going to be some crazy ammonia spikes and ph changes, but I?ll slowly put more water into the tank every few days until it?s full in two weeks. I thought the mulm would slowly settle into the gravel (no soil underneath) and then the gravel will be like my soil for the plants so I can top it off with new sand. Hopefully I can get everything regulated. Now for the fish. I only have 7 small tetras and a small keyhole chichlid. I placed them in a 10 gallon that was recently filled and currently running with the HOB filter that was used for the 55g. My question is, is my plan good? Will the planted tank thrive? Will the fish have a chance of survival. I?d highly appreciate some advice on how I should do this. If you think I should just restart the whole tank, tell me why. I?ve used this forum a while back and learned so much. Again, I?d highly appreciate your help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've done larger moves than that with absolutely zero issues, I would drain most of the water, leaving just enough for shrimp/fish/plants/snails, keep the filter media submerged, pack everything up, drive an hour away, un-pack everything, fill the tank up with fresh new water, plug everything in and by morning everything has settled and looks like it did before the move. There is no reason for an ammonia spike if you simply replace the water because the bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle live on surfaces (gravel, filter media etc.) and not in the water column, I would just do the 90% water change all in one go, as long as the water you're replacing matches the new water (pH, temp etc.). Plants and fish should have no issues. Godoluck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
I've done larger moves than that with absolutely zero issues, I would drain most of the water, leaving just enough for shrimp/fish/plants/snails, keep the filter media submerged, pack everything up, drive an hour away, un-pack everything, fill the tank up with fresh new water, plug everything in and by morning everything has settled and looks like it did before the move. There is no reason for an ammonia spike if you simply replace the water because the bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle live on surfaces (gravel, filter media etc.) and not in the water column, I would just do the 90% water change all in one go, as long as the water you're replacing matches the new water (pH, temp etc.). Plants and fish should have no issues. Godoluck
I would go along with this but with the added advise to do some testing for ammonia as it is a major change and being aware is step one for not losing fish. I do somewhat near this as I change flooring. I lower the water as much as practical, pry the stand up and use rollers to move it to allow for flooring to go down. It does stir the tank and I do hold the fish in other tanks but then I refill and go, using new water. The only value in old water is that it matches the existing but at the expense/downside of being already dirty. I have a barrel of good water which matches and just see it as a large water change but with the added hazard of some of the bacteria on the substrate does get covered and will die. So that leaves me watching to see that too much is not killed. Also it is NOT a good time to clean things like the filter where you do also lose some bacteria. Make the change but with as little done all at one time to best avoid spikes. No problem as long as you are aware and do have a plan if it does go bad.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Algae Grower

I did this a couple times with the same group of fish. I moved houses with my 55 gal. I took a bucket of water from the tank, and put the fish in it. The movers made me drain the tank 100% (to substrate level). I had an undergravel with an HoB at the time.
I filled the tank with fresh water once moved, and then put the fish back in. I had no fatalities.

Then a few months later, drained 90%, pulled my undergravel filter, changed out substrate (coated gravel to flourite) and installed a canister filter. I expected ammonia spikes, but got none. I lost no fish. My theory is your bacterial colony can migrate and settle and reestablish pretty quickly.

I don't have a huge fish load though, and was always running ~3" gravel substrate. I think I had few to 0 anaerobic pockets.
Running a 55 gal tank with about ~20 tetras at any given time + 1 dwarf pleco.
My only problem I experienced was sucking up a neon with one of the water changes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I would go along with this but with the added advise to do some testing for ammonia as it is a major change and being aware is step one for not losing fish. I do somewhat near this as I change flooring. I lower the water as much as practical, pry the stand up and use rollers to move it to allow for flooring to go down. It does stir the tank and I do hold the fish in other tanks but then I refill and go, using new water. The only value in old water is that it matches the existing but at the expense/downside of being already dirty. I have a barrel of good water which matches and just see it as a large water change but with the added hazard of some of the bacteria on the substrate does get covered and will die. So that leaves me watching to see that too much is not killed. Also it is NOT a good time to clean things like the filter where you do also lose some bacteria. Make the change but with as little done all at one time to best avoid spikes. No problem as long as you are aware and do have a plan if it does go bad.
Yes I forgot to mention that I kept an eye on my parameters just in case, thanks for pointing that out! Always a good idea to check water quality after any sort of move like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode