• 2 Post By dukydaf
  • 2 Post By hennyis1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mineral Oil In Aquarium

Hello everyone,

I finally got around to setting up my co2 and of course I think I made a pretty huge mistake. I had read that using glycerin or mineral oil is a good fluid to go with inside the bubble counter for accurate bubble counting so I ended up going with mineral oil. I filled it about 3/4 full and then after that things seemed to be flowing good (no pun intended). I started to tidy up some of the mess I had made after doing a 50% water change and unpacking the co2 stuff. After about a half hour or so, I came back to check the bubble counter and the fluid was a little less than half. I immediately unplugged the solenoid and washed out everything out with hot water that I believe came into contact with the oil -bubble counter, tubing and diffuser as best I could and filled the counter with water from the tank.

Has anyone else experienced getting mineral oil into their tank? How did you go about removing it? I'm worried that the oil will be hard to get out and contaminate the tank and make all my hard work and effort for naught. ):

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When that happened to me I placed paper towel on the water an soaked up as much as I could
hennyis1 and hennyis1 like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Pretty sure that mineral oil is totally inert so I don't think it will kill your livestock. Might be a pain to clean up though and I'm not sure how I'd go about that
hennyis1 and hennyis1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the quick replies!

I think when I get home today, I'll turn off everything and wait for the water to be still and see if there's anything on the surface. I'm kinda hoping most of the oil is trapped by the ceramic of the diffuser so I may replace that completely. Man, what a boneheaded move on my part!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

it will float on top of the water and you can use a paper towel to pick it up. As klibs said pretty much inert. On the lemonade side, maybe filters will run quieter.
klibs and klibs like this.

On hiatus till later this year
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
it will float on top of the water and you can use a paper towel to pick it up. As klibs said pretty much inert. On the lemonade side, maybe filters will run quieter.
Haha! Didn't think about the lemonade side. Thanks for that! xD
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode