New tank setup planning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
New tank setup planning

Hey everyone. I'm shocked at the conclusion I've come to, but I've grown almost bored with my discus. They're beautiful, majestic fish. I've done fairly well in raising some good size ones.

However, if/when one dies, they're getting much too expensive to replace, I'm having more and more life events happen to where I can't do my every other day water changes like I should, and they kinda just sit in the tank. Some movement not all that much.

So with that said, I'm thinking of when they all pass, moving to a fully planted Angelfish/community tank, or a Peacock/hap tank.

Obviously being a planted forum I'm assuming the planted angel tank will be the favorite, but any opinion on the cichlid tank? I've had angels before and love them. Never done cichlids. Just looking for different views. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Finnex 36" Planted Plus 24/7 SE for sale!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Having both a discus tank and planted tank, I would say that the planted tank takes a lot more maintenance and effort than the discus tank does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My tank currently is planted. It just randomly hit me the other day that I'm bored with it. Haven't had this happen with a tank in a long while.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm back to this idea. I think I'll be replacing discus with angels once all of them go. I won't be getting rid of my current 7 discus, but I can't keep affording these expensive fish and something go wrong. I've now lost 5 in 2.5 years, which isn't bad, but at nearly $100-150 per good fish, that's out of our budget.

So I'm planning on doing a rummy nose, clown loach, angelfish tank later on. How many angels could you have in a 125 happily?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 01:29 AM
Algae Grower

If you want a nice somewhat uncommon but nice community fish you should loook into getting a small school of rhombo barbs. I just bought 7 of these and they are fun active fish. I will be updating my journal in the next few days and will post some pictures of these guys. They are pretty cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparker2005 View Post
Hey everyone. I'm shocked at the conclusion I've come to, but I've grown almost bored with my discus. They're beautiful, majestic fish. I've done fairly well in raising some good size ones.

However, if/when one dies, they're getting much too expensive to replace, I'm having more and more life events happen to where I can't do my every other day water changes like I should, and they kinda just sit in the tank. Some movement not all that much.

So with that said, I'm thinking of when they all pass, moving to a fully planted Angelfish/community tank, or a Peacock/hap tank.

Obviously being a planted forum I'm assuming the planted angel tank will be the favorite, but any opinion on the cichlid tank? I've had angels before and love them. Never done cichlids. Just looking for different views. Thanks!

How about giving your Discus to someone that will have the enthusiasm and dedication to properly take care of them? Why wait till they pass? It's a win-win; you get to try something different and I'm sure someone out there will gladly take them. Discus folks are a dedicated bunch and if you post on one of their forums I'm sure you'll find someone close by to take them.

That said, african cichlids will also get boring after a while......
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type View Post
How about giving your Discus to someone that will have the enthusiasm and dedication to properly take care of them? Why wait till they pass? It's a win-win; you get to try something different and I'm sure someone out there will gladly take them. Discus folks are a dedicated bunch and if you post on one of their forums I'm sure you'll find someone close by to take them.

That said, african cichlids will also get boring after a while......
Agreed. I love the discus don't get me wrong. But when you lose one, as they are a delicate fish, it's so hard to come up with the extra money nowadays to replace them.

I also agree on the cichlids. I love my planted tanks too, which is why I'm leaning more towards maybe some blue or koi angel tank as the centerpiece fish. I'd love to have a group in the 125 but pairing makes me nervous.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:37 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparker2005 View Post
Agreed. I love the discus don't get me wrong. But when you lose one, as they are a delicate fish, it's so hard to come up with the extra money nowadays to replace them.

I also agree on the cichlids. I love my planted tanks too, which is why I'm leaning more towards maybe some blue or koi angel tank as the centerpiece fish. I'd love to have a group in the 125 but pairing makes me nervous.

Have you ever had African Cichlids? If not, then you may want to try it. They are beautiful (and in my experience, super easy = low maintenance), but I got bored of that big colorful salad bowl of constant movement after a while. Its almost like having a marine, fish only tank; no matter how beautiful the fish are you're going to get bored without coral.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode