New to planted tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
So I bought a 36gal bow front. Planted 247 light, 4 bags of eco complete put in like 12 plants and injected them with that flora spore stuff. Sun sun 304B filter and UV light running.

Well it's been 3 weeks now and really doesn't seem like my plants are growing. Kinda seems like they are slowly dying. :-(
Do I have too many plants for not having co2?
Do the plants use up all the co2 created during the night instantly.
I've had allot of tanks in my younger years and I remember plants growing crazy but never had this many in a smaller tank.
Is there some trick that I'm not doing?

Here's my tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3677_1507345629454.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	794346  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-07-2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 06:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You probably need to dose fertilizer and inject CO2. Some plants can do without it, some struggle, and every plant benefits from it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

I was looking into co2 systems last night. I would like to go with a tank and not one of those homemade systems.
Dosing is basically just fertilizing with like flourish??

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It takes a bit of time for plants to establish.

If you are going to dose fertilizer look at dry from nilocg or green leaf aquarium. Long term much cheaper

Make sure you can check nitrate, kh, gh, phosphate levels

There are lots of ways to go with co2. Gla was easy way for me

Have fun with it. Not every plant is supposed to grow in your aquarium. Find the ones that are and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Planted Member

What plant species do you have. Many plants can do well with injected co2.
Also, it can take some time for new plants adjust to your tank, and in some cases for them to adjust to being submerged. Many large nurseries grow aquatic plants out of water so they grow faster. It will take longer for them to adjust, but they will.
If we know what plants you have, we can help you further know what ferts will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 Gallon Bowfront Planted w/ Angelfish, GBR, Rummynose, Corydoras Aeneus albino, Mystery & Nerite snails
2x 5 Gallon planted with betta, Mystery & Nerite Snails
40 Gallon Breeder Planted w/ Blue Tetra
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input.
I have a red Rubin sword, Italian Val, Lucens, Rubin Sword, Afzelli, Amazon Sword, Dwarf four leaf clover, java fern and java moss.
I just tested my water and all levels are normal. My test kit is 10 years old so I'm gonna buy a new one.
Is there a particular test kit to get for a planted tank?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower

I have the same tank with the same light and a pressurized CO2 system which I have had going for around a year now so I will give you my input.

Since it is a super tall tank you wont see much fast growth with anything that stays near the substrate or carpets as too much light is lost in the water column but you have lots of light for plenty of nice plants.

You will most likely need to help them out with proper fertilization including root tabs and injected CO2. If you don't like the cost prospect of injected CO2 systems I would set your sights on low to low-medium light plants unless they are mounted somewhere higher in the tank and check out the "Low tech" forum for ideas but at a minimum you probably need to give them some fertilizer.

I have grown lots of nice things in that tank but it took good fertilizer and consistent CO2 to see really bushy, lush growth and deep colours.

Bump: For test kits it depends what you want to test. If you are just looking to protect fish and be able to test for ammonia and nitrate you can just get those kits on their own at your local pet store. However if you are looking to be able to test other things like phosphate and iron and calcium etc then you will want to pick up the full Hagen test kit that comes in a little suitcase looking thing but be warned it was close to $100 where I live.

Having said all that I don't bother testing my water anymore, I just do regular water changes with enough fertilizer (EI fertilization) and assume everything is going fine as long as the fish are happy and the plants are growing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode