Failure ! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Failure !

Ok.. almost every plant I have is slowly deteriorating
I have a steady ph of 7.2, kh of 20, c02~20-30, running 23 watts of PH over a 10 gallon, and I dose macros and micros

the only growth I get is about 2 inches of anarchis a week, and after that grows the part below it starts to get very dark and then decay

all the swords are starting to get holes

I think the decay of the plants is creating some brown crap that settles on everything lincuding some of the swords, because theres only 1 betta and 3 tiny gobies in the tank and its always filhty, despite my best efforts to clean it

the tank has a AC mini
I recently put in a small maxi-jet to get some water flow to make things not settle , its not working to great

what am I doing wrong? This boggles my mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
First thing I see is I don't think you have near enough light. Have you read my thinking on Minimum Light Threshold?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
an AC Mini is really only made to be used on smaller tanks such as 5 gal. and below. I would suggest getting a AC150 for the tank and upping the lights. What kind of gobys?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:44 AM
Algae Grower

More than the average WPG for smaller tanks (under 20g) and less WPG for larger tanks (100g+) is the basic idea, correct? That is to say, a 192g (imaginary-sized tank) would not need 8x96w to achieve 4WPG due to the intensity of 96w bulbs divided by the surface area (LSI). And a 10g tank would need about 36w of lighting to achieve minimal effect due to the intensity of the bulb and the surface area it covers. Pardon any mistakes I may have made.

How long has your 10g been running?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

wasserpest only has 20w over a 10, his tank is outstanding?

Im considering an eheim echo after the poor christmas period is over

correction , its 26w.. not like it makes that much if a difference

Its been running a couple months , but not that long with the new plants

I was doing some thinking and perhaps I just had a die-off from shipping.. SOME of my plants are doing well, about 1/2 - I cant recall how long they have been in there
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:34 AM

i have 5.3 wpg on my 30 gallon and all my plants grow
about 4 leaves for my anubis 5 leaves for my amazon sword
and 3 inches for my anarchis in a week

Last edited by aquarium boy; 11-29-2004 at 06:33 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
you just proved Rex right
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Scissors,

Basically you are correct. You can find my thoughts at http://rexgrigg.com/mlt.htm or linked in my Guide in the Lighting section. But smaller tanks do require more light. And good reflectors become more critical with the less light you have OVER the tank.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 05:00 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I am not sure what 23 Watts of PH really are, but if you have two 13W PCs with say AHS reflectors, I would think light isn't the problem.

An AC Mini is just fine for a 10 gal tank. That's what I am using, filled up with sponges, great little filter.

Anacharis has been decaying in my tanks too. I think it has to do with the balance of temperature and light. Higher temps = more light needed to keep it alive. It comes from temperate climates and prefers cool water.

Some/most swords are grown emersed and will shed their leaves when planted in your tank. New leaves will look a little different. Most swords become too big for 10 gal tanks, unless it is E. tenellus.

Just hang on there... it took me a few months looking at a beard/brush algae landscape before things cleared up. Patience is the key!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Algae Grower

11 watts over 10g

I have a 10 US gallon tank lit by an 11-watt flourescent tube (exactly the same kind as in my desk lamp) with white pea-gravel and am able to grow red ludwigia, egeria, pygmy chain sword and vallis until there's no space left for fish to swim. Just removed 80% of the plant mass and added some Indian fern, which is also doing well. The lamp has no reflecter, just a white metal casing behind it, and is protected from water by a plastic cover, which must reduce its impact a little, especially beween cleanings.

CO2 is from Hagen, but probably not very effective because 10 times an hour all the water in the tank passes through the filter in the canopy and drops back into the tank via a spray-bar. Also, I don't refresh the Hagen mixture often enough.

My water has a PH of 8.2 before CO2 added. I also use Tetra Easybalance which adds Iron and other micronutrients for plants.

Tank was set up in the summer when my tap water contained 50-100ppm Nitrates. I try to remove Nitrates and phosphates as much as possible to control algae, last time I measured phosphate was 0 and Nitrates 20 ppm.

Plant growth slowed down a lot after first couple of months, which I'm happy about - don't want to be pruning all the time.

My main point is I'm skeptical about the wpg rules. I have much more recently set up a 1 wpg 68 US gallon tank which has every stem plant I could think of growing to the surface, including Rotala Macranda. (To be fair, I planted stems with lots of spacing between them, and anything shaded by the surface stuff stops growing. Three quarters of the surface is covered by plants at the moment.) This tank has eco-complete substrate and pressurised CO2.

The 10 gall. is helped by probably an hour a day of feeble sunlight, once every two weeks when London skies are not completely overcast...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

On your 98 gallon what do the stem plants look like? What is the internode length?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjking
I have a 10 US gallon tank lit by an 11-watt flourescent tube (exactly the same kind as in my desk lamp) with white pea-gravel and am able to grow red ludwigia, egeria, pygmy chain sword and vallis until there's no space left for fish to swim. Just removed 80% of the plant mass and added some Indian fern, which is also doing well. The lamp has no reflecter, just a white metal casing behind it, and is protected from water by a plastic cover, which must reduce its impact a little, especially beween cleanings.

CO2 is from Hagen, but probably not very effective because 10 times an hour all the water in the tank passes through the filter in the canopy and drops back into the tank via a spray-bar. Also, I don't refresh the Hagen mixture often enough.

My water has a PH of 8.2 before CO2 added. I also use Tetra Easybalance which adds Iron and other micronutrients for plants.

Tank was set up in the summer when my tap water contained 50-100ppm Nitrates. I try to remove Nitrates and phosphates as much as possible to control algae, last time I measured phosphate was 0 and Nitrates 20 ppm.

Plant growth slowed down a lot after first couple of months, which I'm happy about - don't want to be pruning all the time.

My main point is I'm skeptical about the wpg rules. I have much more recently set up a 1 wpg 68 US gallon tank which has every stem plant I could think of growing to the surface, including Rotala Macranda. (To be fair, I planted stems with lots of spacing between them, and anything shaded by the surface stuff stops growing. Three quarters of the surface is covered by plants at the moment.) This tank has eco-complete substrate and pressurised CO2.

The 10 gall. is helped by probably an hour a day of feeble sunlight, once every two weeks when London skies are not completely overcast...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Yes.. the new leaves are a much lighter and brighter green, instead of deep dark green

lighting was a typo, I have a 2x13 powercompact kit from AH supply

I guess I just have to give it time to settle in

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode