Aquarium Pots Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Aquarium Pots Question

I am planning a 180 bare bottom aquarium with large fish. The bottom will be covered in tile or slate. I would like to diy some pots out of the tile. This will prevent flow from the sides although it may get some from the top. Is this fine? Also, the pots will probably be 8 inch by 8 inch for Amazon swords and a couple 8 inch by 4 inch for some crinum and tall Crypts. Is it a problem having the pots 4-6 inches high with 3-5 inches of substrate to provide more area for roots? I think with the heavy root based plants, this should provide enough space and the roots should mix the soil enough to not cause issues. If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Attached are some pictures of my general thoughts. Ignore the crappy drawings lol...I'm an engineer. The tank shot is a 75 gallon I setup to get the plants to root. This should help provide perspective of the wood size and layout, just spread out over 2 more feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170930_215212_1506822853624.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	793457  

Name:	15068228759221562156042_1506822904792.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	793465  

Name:	20170930_214132_1506822928945.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	793473  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I do use a number of "pots" of various materials as I also keep larger fish and do need to protect plants and roots. But then I also do not use slate for many things as it tends to be more trouble than I like. I bit too tedious to cut as I have to drag out a tile saw and then it often leaves sharp points or edges which I don't like to fight to remove.
But then what I like may not be the same as what you like so getting back to your ideas?
what and why often have good reasons so can you tell us a bit more on why bare bottom, why slate, etc.?
I don't find too much trouble with pots open only at the top for short term but for plants long term growth, I find I do better with a lot of open space in/near the bottom to let the roots continue on out as the do grow much farther than I would have expected.
More access to more nutrients in more spaces gives better growth, long term?
but then, my pots are not in a bare bottom but set into the sub.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
The tank will most likely house 3 bichir and a jardini arowana. I got a great deal on an unused used acrylic tank. Only catch was the craftsmanship was a little sloppy. Seams are perfect, but whoever assembled it dropped specs of cement on the inside causing unsightly blotchs.

I personally dislike the look of bare bottom as well, hence wanting to cover it. The other downside to the tank is a blue background. Not my preferred choice. I intend to put a 3d low profile background in as well. The slate and or tiles is an attempt to provide a more natural look. The reason for the pots is to assist with cleaning, but as an aquascaping junkie...a bare tank with just fish looks boring. With that said, going for a natural look while keeping the tank clean with these fish isn't easy. Most pots I have found are round shaped or the sides bow out. This isn't optimal as I want to use the smallest footprint for the pots possible while still providing a significantly large enough substrate for monster plants.

In my mind, the benefit to DIYing the pots out of the same material as the floor is that it should, once again in my mind, look more seamless and less forces. I also have some lava rock with plants grown attached that I intend to use to soften the transition from floor to pots.
Video of tiled aquarium. I am thinking something like this but a bit darker.

One other note to the setup, I will have a 75 gallon sump running filtration. First chamber will be a diy trickle tower and tons of media. Than there will be a large foam divider. Next I will have a refugium followed by another foam block to the return pump.

https://youtu.be/oysXCn_kNCQ

3d background Think something like this

https://youtu.be/wfG_EzUX04s

TLDR
Huge fish, massive waste production, still want it to look nice.

The backgrounds I am considering are.

https://aquadecorbackgrounds.com/3d_...dels/model-e3/

https://aquadecorbackgrounds.com/3d_...dels/model-e5/

https://aquadecorbackgrounds.com/3d_...dels/model-g2/

The brown version of this one
https://www.universalrocks.com/fish/...s/crystal-wall

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-02-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Okay, we better understand the why and what of the issue. Thanks for the info. It always pays to know what in in somebody else's thinking, even if we are going to disagree. Not going to be a big help on building the pots from slate as I've not used slate for that. I find it harder to work than some other items.
Small point on that might be to point you to using scrap/ left over tile if it would get you more choices on color and ease of working. I tend to hang with a bunch of guys who do remodels so tile is one of my "things".
I find Travertine tile is softer and easier to drill and cut than lots of other tile but super expensive if looking at buying very much. Knowing how folks operate, stores almost always have stacks of tile left over from various sources. Overstock, broken case, rejects and such often build up in a shed in back where I can go pick through and they are often glad to get rid of the stuff without paying to have it hauled off!
It may not fit your color but it does come in quite a range of colors, styles and sizes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode