New tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank

I am re-doing a tank that was used for another purpose. For 15 years it was a palludarium for aquatic newts (granulosas). Sinc ethey have moved on I am converting it to a planted community tank. The tank is a 58g 12 x 36 x 21. Sub is EC, filtration is Fluval 306 with standard media. Not planning C02 but will likely upgrade once the tank establishes and I add more "difficult" plants. Lighting is 36" coralife 96w CFL @ 10k. Once planted I have a 24" Current fixture T5HO x 24 (2x10k, 2 x 6.5k). The wood in the tank is well aged and but I did dry it out for 12 weeks post newts. There is some moss left behind that will likely come back. Looking for suggestions for....

Specimen plants that grow tall for sides and back to fill in between the wood

carpeting plant for foreground

any creeping, vining, mossy plant for the wood on the walls. The wood has small plug holes that are ideal for panting I believe

Perhaps a shade lover for under what was a waterfall.
Any thoughts

Bump: I should have mentioned that this tank is just starting. I did add a good squeeze of the filter sponge from another tank whose inhabitants will be moving here when ready. (Instant fertilizer :-)) They are a couple of minnows that have been reproducing for generations in a smaler tank that was my daughters.

The end goal is a planted community tank with 4'ish species. One bottom schooler (? cories), 2 midwater schoolers, and maybe one or two ther thingies. Suggestions here are also appreciates as I have not done a FW community tank before. Had a reef for years (sold it due to limited time) and several palludaria like this one that I made.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 3.29.08 PM.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	793329  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low tech I would do Valís, anubias, buce and moss on the wood up high and cardinal plant around the bases of the wood. You could use dwarf sag as a low tech carpet

Depending on temp I would probably do the aeneus cories in different color forms, a school of emperor tetras, diamond tetras and lamb chop rasboras along with a bristlenose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode