Rio Acandi 2: Electric Boogaloo - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Rio Acandi 2: Electric Boogaloo

After a few months hiatus, doing a lot research (and probably much more procrastinating ), I've FINALLY decided to start working on my Rio Acandi biotope again. The problem is, quite early on I learned that finding any information on what flora and fauna inhabit the Acandi basin is damned near impossible without actually traveling there and doing a detailed ecological survey (which, on minimum wage, isn't happening anytime soon). Because of this, I've had to change my game plan a bit.

Through the use of google earth and personal accounts of the area, I've determined that the Rio Acandi itself is a slow-moving stream similar to an igarape situated in grass/farmland that is most likely an ancient offshoot of the Rio Atrato. I suspect that my centerpiece species, hyphessobrycon columbianus, was produced when a population of hyphessobrycon panamensis were trapped in the Acandi basin when the Atrato changed course, and were separated for a sufficient amount of time for a new species to form. I also suspect that other fauna from the Atrato basin was distributed into the area around Acandi at about the same time, leading me to conclude that any fish suitable for an Atrato biotope would be suitable for an Acandi biotope as well.

To be clear, I'm not going for a full-on, ultra local specific biotope (the relevant information to accomplish this doesn't even exist), I'm going for a region-emulating communiotope that simulates what the Rio Acandi most likely looks like. With that in mind, I'd greatly appreciate any species that you guys can recommend, especially if you've done a Rio Atrato biotope in the past

Substrate:
Pool filter sand and ADA amazonia aquasoil (1.5:1)

Flora:
- some form of tall grass or reed (emergent)
- something leafy (submerged)
- some form of floating plant (perhaps)

Fauna:
- Hyphessobrycon columbianus
- Gasteropelecus maculatus (or any other hatchet that may be more readily available)

Decor:
- medium sized river stones
- one medium or several small pieces of driftwood
- assorted botanicals

Tank:
- 36 gallon bowfront

Last edited by Summerland_Aquatics; 09-29-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added a photo of the tank I'm using (36 gallon bowfront), removed references of the Rio San Juan, it's located too far West
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not sure about that specific species, but according to some brief google scholar research, other members of the Hyphessobrycon genus inhabit thick groves of Egeria densa and Egeria najas. The paper I found was regarding a river basin that I believe is upstream of the biotope you are considering, so it's probably not too far flung to speculate.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananableps View Post
Not sure about that specific species, but according to some brief google scholar research, other members of the Hyphessobrycon genus inhabit thick groves of Egeria densa and Egeria najas. The paper I found was regarding a river basin that I believe is upstream of the biotope you are considering, so it's probably not too far flung to speculate.
Yeah, I found the same thing. Right now I'm looking at other forms of aquatic fauna that inhabit the same area (the Colombians are a great centerpiece species, and fairly large as far as tetras go, I feel that adding other hyphessobrycon species would overpower the tank a bit :P). Really what I'm looking for, are species from the genus' Loricariidae, Cichlidae, and possibly Corydoras (if any have a range east of the Andes, I'm not sure that they do). I really appreciate the plants though, they'd make a good addition to the deeper areas of the tank!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Oh I'm sorry, I read "flora". My bad!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananableps View Post
Oh I'm sorry, I read "flora". My bad!
No no, I'm looking for floral suggestions as well , with that, do you know any bushy, leafy plants that stay fairly low? I'm looking for something for the foreground :P

Just ordered an Enigma pack from Tannin aquatics, and linked this page in the order notes. Needless to say, I've peaked Scott's interest! Here's a recent email conversation we had:

Sent: September 29, 2017 8:00 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Your Tannin Aquatics order and biotope aquarium!

HI Jackson,

Thanks for your order- and for the great information about the biotope you're trying to replicate!

You're right, there is not a lot out there about the flora of this particular river, but I think, based on your description and thoughts on what you want to accomplish, that we can select some cool stuff for your display!

I'll personally work on this one, and I'll try to select a mix of (as you suggest) "lighter" materials, as well as a few more dense, interestingly-textured items. I am having some difficulty ascertaining if this is specifically a blackwater locale or not...That being said, I'll be electing items that, although they may impart a tint to the water, will not be selected on that basis.

I'm thinking also to use some palm-derived items, such as Fishtail Palm Stems, "Terra Sorrindo", etc. For leaves, possibly Jackfruit/Guava.

I'll do some more research and see wha I can find! Hope to ship early next week!

Should be a fun project! Thanks again for the order, and if you have any additional information that you want to share on this habitat, just let me know!

Thanks!

Scott

--
Scott Fellman, "Chief Tint Officer"
Tannin Aquatics
Tannin Aquatics offers a thoughtfully curated collection of botanicals and other unique and useful goods to promote aquatic creativity.

My Reply:

Hey Scott,

I’ve done another sweep of the area on google earth, looked at it from a few different angles and drawn a few more conclusions about the habitat I’m trying to replicate.

I looked at heightmap of the region, extending all the way back to the Atrato, and I’m quite convinced that the Atrato once extended to a point just below the town of Acandi.

As for the current makeup of the area, it looks to me like a low-tint igarape that weaves its way through areas of both open farmland/grassland and moderately forested river banks that continue up into the mountains where they’re fed. Because of this, I suspect that it’s a very moderate blackwater, with the majority of the botanicals being leaves. I definitely agree with the palm stems and the “Terra Sorrindo” pieces, I’d even go a step further and suggest making the pack a mix of the "Palmeiras dos trópicos", the "Nano Botanical", and the "Vida de Cima" packs.

Regards, Jackson Hughes

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-26-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Small update for those subscribed (if there's anyone :P) The project is temporarily on hold. I'm currently redoing my bedroom/office and can't really set anything up until they've been painted and the floors have been redone. The good news is this won't last forever, but it may be a few months before I can continue. So stay tuned, as there will be updates eventually.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Actual progress to report!

I finally got sick of waiting for my room(s) to be finished, and went ahead and set up the tank in my bathroom instead. The 10 gallon temp. tank my fish were in was starting to become unsaveable (filter/heater were on their last legs, all plants had died off) so I moved them over. Now I'm just waiting for spring to roll around so that I can get the centerpiece plants for the aquascape. I can post pics of it in its current state if anyone's interested
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Algae Grower

Yes - please do. I have an aquarium with Colombian tetra's as centerpiece fish and might be tempted to move into the direction of a northeast Colombian biotope as well In any event, I am interested to learn more about the natural habitat these fish came from, so please keep sharing any insights you find

Tags
biotope, communiotope, rio acandi, rio atrato, rio san juan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode