Is it ok to treat and condition water in empty 2 litre water bottles? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By houseofcards
  • 2 Post By mindnova
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
VSA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it ok to treat and condition water in empty 2 litre water bottles?

I have a betta that became a bit naughty as he matured and got into some fights in a community tank. He now lives by himself but ended up with fin damage. I am doing daily water changes with prime to help him grow back what he damaged and it seems to be working. I don't mind doing the daily changes but it is a big pain to go out to the garage, get the buckets and then prep the water on a daily basis. It takes me longer to do this than the water change.

Is it ok to use empty water bottles - treat the water in these bottles in advance and then put the lid on (have kids so need the bottle to be closed or it may get knocked over)? I would then create a batch for the week and pour the water from bottle into bucket, get the temp right and do the change.

Would that be ok or would having the water in a bottle with lid on somehow mess with the treatment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
For my small tank(s) I routinely leave 1 Gallon water jugs in the closet that were treated with a few drops of prime. I use these for water changes and top offs.
VSA and VSA like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Algae Grower

I leave water in two liter bottles stored for my Betta also. Since I am using the same bottles I bought drinking water in I feel safe using it for my fish. The only thing I see issue with is not being able to leave the lid off. But I really like it to breathe for a few days if possible. Since your treating it, maybe if you could stir it hard for a bit while bring up the temp in your bucket it would be ok. But I think I may be over kill.
VSA and VSA like this.

A little algae can't be that bad!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A couple small points but nothing that would stop me from doing it?
First is the tap water. It is treated with chlorine or chloramine but not to the high enough level needed to kill ALL the bacteria. If we did that it would mess with our stomach good bacteria too much. Think of what a night of alcohol does to the stomach?
So if we store tap water, it has a tendency to let that bacteria grow and multiply. Some of that can leave the water flat/stagnant if done too long. A week? No problem but not for a month. One way to help with this might be as simple as leaving a little space at the top and giving the bottle a good shake before pouring it in.
In my situation, I keep a fifty gallon plastic food grade barrel of reserve water where I treat it to declor each time I fill it. This kills the chloramine but I then get a whiff of "bad water" when the first bit that has spent time in the hose goes into the tanks. Not enough O2 in what is standing in the tubing? Hydrogen sulfide, maybe? Not enough to kill fish but I don't like the idea of adding it to my tanks.
A good shake or some way to get O2 back in the water, might be worth doing.
VSA and VSA like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
VSA
Algae Grower

Thank you for the input. Glad I can go ahead with this as it will save me a fair bit of time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode